Z's Feet

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I have a similar issue with my STB. Some days he's fine on gravel, other days he is clearly sore.

I'm still working out what to do. I'm currently attempting the leave a little more hoof on approach, which is entirely against what I know....

He's moving pretty fantastic lately, frogs are healthy, heels are wide. I guess spring time road riding will show how he's doing!

@DelP told me that her...grandfather? used to put a layer of clay over the foot before a race on the tender footed horses. Worth a shot, and you can probably just line his foot with some clay from outside.

Arem likes this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Arem - it’s fairly cheap & that’s why I tried it before going the shoe route. IIIBarsV uses it and has had good success so I figured it was worth a try.

Arem likes this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

@Faster Horses - I wont bet getting anything out of our field for some time now - everything is under a few inches of ice. Hahaha and once I could access it, it wouldn’t be needed as the ground would be softer. Hahahaha and if I bought some to try right now, it would never stay in with the snow & ice melting. We should be up to our eye balls in mud by Wednesday according to the weather forecast. Hahaha

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Right--I didn't mean to think that'd it would stay packed in long term! I meant layer a little bit prior to a ride and see if there's less soreness.

But oh geez the mud, I hear ya.

Arem and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  5. sherian

sherian Senior Member

will your barefoot trimmer at least do glue ons if you don't like any of the local farriers? (once you survive spring thaw)

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

We have discussed this & it was the route that we had planned to go. That was until I found out it was going to be $3-400 per reset! Ah yeah no way! That pretty much doubles my monthly costs on my horse.

7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

that sucks, to be honest it will likely be hard for you to find a good farrier who will shoe but not trim the horse - makes you sound like a pita client, and the good farriers are busy enough to walk away. Boots?

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Yup! I do have a “friend”, so that would be who i’d ask....he’s a great guy and of course I’d have to make it worth his while and I would, if he agreed. Just hoping to not have to ask that of him.

Tried boots - I have the best ones for not affecting break over & they fit his feet as well as any boot will. Still they affect his gait & boots aren’t legal to show in. And....I immediately put them on him (with Pastern wraps) the day after I found him unable to walk 10 steps before stopping.....and he promptly attempted to remove them and ripped the pastern wraps........so boots full time are not likely to work.

Just add one more thing to the list of Whote Wonders!

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

The feet "look" good, but he's walking on his soles in a few places, and he doesn't have enough support for hard ground icy conditions. So form and function can be different. So what im saying is you dont have the hoof depth to have them where they are yet and that is why he is sore. I would not touch the bottom the next 4 week cycle, except maybe clean up the heels very conservatively, but would do a bevel around the wall. And just keep the toe from running forward, but do it by top dressing not the bottom. You need to let him build more callus, like a ridge, on the bottom, as i can see where he is getting bruised because the toe quarters are not m/l balanced. I have to do this with Severus because he gets very sore on the hard winter ground. May want to check out and use hoof armour weekly. Pete Ramey showed us at his clinic how to use a small hand torch (like for creme brulee) to dry the hoof then apply the hoof armour. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    ginster and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

We don't touch the sole - that's just not a area we've ever had to touch on him.

And yes, we have the torch & more hoof armour on order....just seems their "expedited shipping" is anything but expedited........

BluemoonOKy likes this.