Z's Feet

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@equinitis: we were trimming every 4 weeks, but once he got sore we backed off and let them grow a bit more. His last trim was Jan 29th, so 5 weeks & 4 days since the last trim. We are doing exactly what you’ve mentioned above too. It’s just so fristrsting.

@Mcdreamer: yes, he tests positive on all 4 & everywhere on them. His feet/soles are also not spongy. They are hard, so that’s the tricky part. And no I haven’t done xrays. My farrier seems to think they aren’t needed and my vet just thinks I need to show him. So i feel kinda stuck in the middle here.

Thing is, if I put shoes on him, I’m not fixing the problem........I then would just have a horse with sore feet wearing shoes. It’s a PITA and I hate this! I want to find and fix the problem not just slap shoes on to mask the issue.

Mcdreamer likes this.
  2. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Hmmm. In my experience, farriers tend to have huge and very easily butt hurt egos. Bless their hearts but what harm could it do to get RADS? I feel for you. It's tough being in-between but I would definitely get RADS done.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ it’s not out of the question. just hard when my vet just wants him in shoes too. I know my vet will just tell me to shoe him & be done with it. GAH!

There’s a whole dietary issue I’m not happy with either. So much going on, so it’s very tricky. There are reasons we call him “The White Wonder”........despite everyone on team White Wonder adoring him.

Where is @Arem in all of this? She’s usually all over this kinda stuff too. Lol

Mcdreamer likes this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I have the same $@&#% problem with Brandi. Same. Freaking. One. So I feel your pain.

I really don’t have any real complaints about the way his feet *look* same as with Brandi. Hers about as good as they get. They don’t really get prettier, so I just try to keep her landing properly.

But she’s tender footed. Always tender footed. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, and I haven’t been able to resolve it. And I don’t have the foggiest idea why. Like Z, her soles are hard. I can’t balance her feet differently, or more aggressively outwardly “perfect” or she REALLY gets sore. So we play a weird sort of balancing game and, like I said, I just try to keep her landing properly on them.

The ELPO farrier I apprenticed under for a while said that there is a point where, when horses reach a certain age, there really isn’t a way to make their feet “better.” They won’t ever be perfect. So you just bring them to the best they’re able to have and keep them balanced to their standard of right.

I think that’s what I’m dealing with with Brandi, and maybe you with Z, too. You reach a point where it just is what it is and you keep what you have as healthy as possible.

If I were you, I’d just shoe and be done with it. Shoeing him will make him comfortable and let you enjoy your horse. If I was able to shoe or had access to someone I trusted to shoe, Brandi would be in shoes.

I know there are barefoot nazis out there, but I really don’t see a single solitary thing wrong with shoeing (when showing properly and taking biomechanics into account) The farrier I was apprenticing under started heading the barefoot nazi direction, and we fought on that point. Because Brandi was just better in shoes. (Personally I think his argument was based more in the fact that shoeing was a hassle, and he didn’t want to... but I could be wrong)

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit ranty. It’s a major source of frustration for me. :rofl:

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Oh! I feel like magnesium helped Brandi.

6. lhoward

lhoward Senior Member

Not necessarily true, though. You can certainly keep working on the feet WHILE giving them extra support and pain relief with shoes. It doesn't always just mask problems.

My mares feet continued to improve WHILE wearing shoes. Its been 10 years and she has never been foot sore since then. Not so much as an abcess. For a time we needed frog support, but that is the nice thing about shoeing..you can tweak some things and add temporary support to areas while working on them.

Of course you need a great farrier for that, not one that just "slaps shoes on".

Xrays would be my very first choice, I don't even care what the farrier OR vet said at this point. Its just common sense. No foot, no horse !!! And I don't like to drive blind.

Ultimately it is your choice, for sure. Noone knows for sure what is needed, esp. not without seeing the inside of those hoofs. But I would be nervous to let this continue for to long.

doublelranch likes this.
  7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Is the dietary issue in a different thread I missed? Just my $.02, but had a horse that 'couldn't go without shoes' according to the vet I got him from. After a year with a good diet and allowed to be a horse out on pasture, his soles finally improved enough to be barefoot all the time. I am now going through this again with a different horse. This one has always been shod from track training. Rads showed thin soles. The first time I had his shoes pulled, I had to call the farrier right back out to put shoes back on him just so he could walk in dirt. That was last spring. This year, he is without shoes once again. Granted we have a lot of mud, but so far he is sound. We had also corrected the angles of the feet within a year on both horses. Can you keep him shod and comfortable while you correct his feet with trimmimg and diet?

In the pics in this thread, his pasterns look very upright. If it doesn't cost an arm and leg, I would have rads taken at least for the sake of curiosity.

8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

It may be that you just have a horse that is not going to be comfortable barefoot. I have 2 that, while pasture sound, cannot be ridden more than once or twice a week without shoes. Diet is not an issue, it is hoof structure, genetics, pain tolerance and conformation of both animals. One just has poor hoof structure and is pigeon toed on top of that. The other has no reasonable explanation, he has really nice looking hooves, good size, nice walls, etc.and very nice conformation. His diet is all pasture, he is fat, shiny and feeling good but just cannot go barefoot if he is not able to/not permitted to pick his way around any rocks or gravel. He is sound on any surface except rocks/gravel. I think he may also be a bit of a drama queen and does not handle pain well too. It is what it is with these 2 and we shoe them when we are going to use them, no question about it. No shame is having a comfortable horse that is usable.

Some just need shoes and, if he is sound when shod, that is what I would do. As long as you keep true to angles and work on eliminating flare that is there, shoeing him while in steady work or when he needs it, will not preclude you working on barefoot comfort when he can be barefoot.

Rhythm 'n Blues and Arem like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Thanks guys!

I know we don’t have his feet as good as they can be yet. They are a good as they can be at this point in time, but I know they can be better.......I’ve only had him since the end of August, so really not long enough to get them to their best total potential - simply to their best potential as of today. I understand everything you’re all saying & trust me they are ALL things that have been going through my head. I’ve basically decided to see where I’m at come mid April/beginning of May. If I’m not happy - shoes go on. Part of my issue is I don’t like the work of any of the local farriers who do shoes. So if that becomes something that needs to happen, then I need to go have a chat with my farrier friend up the street and be like “yo, so ummm.....can you just slap shoes on every 6ish weeks after my barefoot trimmer trims him??” Which let’s be honest, is a super awkward conversation to have!

Diet stuff: well, we’re all fairly certain this boy is IR. Again, totally something that everyone here would say to test for. Anyways we had an issue with hay & grain - basically it was a giant cluster F and I was away, but yes he ended up with hot feet and was very sore. So since then we have revamped his entire diet to be for an IR horse, but there have been hiccups along the way and any tiny change sets him off. He is SO sensitive.......again just another piece to the White Wonder puzzle.

In regards to the upright pasturns - yes the horse is upright in the shoulder too - Andalusian with just plain upright tiny feet. Even non-horse people comment on his tiny feet.

I appreciate everyone’s comments and talks about their horses. It really makes me feel better.

Arem have you tried hoof armour on Brandi?? It made a HUGE difference for Zee, but just not quite enough for what we wanna do with him. But maybe it would work for Brandi?

doublelranch and Arem like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I haven’t! I’m not sure I even know what it is. *consults Dr Google*