Z's Feet

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Many of you have seen that I have (quite literally) a new unicorn in my life. What may not be so noticeable in his photos is that....well his feet are terrible! Since I've known this lovely boy for about 5 years, it's painful for me to say this isn't even the worse I've seen his feet :eek: To be able to move the way he does right now is impressive given the state of his tootsies. So just imagine what I'll have on my hands once he actually knows where his feet are in comparison to the ground. :love:

I will add that I am working with a fabulous barefoot trimmer. She made impressive improvements with Fez despite his issues, and she's also done some amazing things for the other horses I have in training. You're all more than welcome to comment and suggest ideas, but no hard feelings when you don't see those suggestions/ideas take shape. I simply thought it would be cool for everyone to follow his feet-journey along with the rest of our journey together.

Let's start with photos as of arrival. He has front shoes only & I must add that he was reset just 10 days ago!

Left Front:

LF (6).jpg
    LF (5).jpg
    LF (4).jpg
    LF (3).jpg
    LF (2).jpg
    Left Front after the shoes was removed.
    LF (7) No Shoe.jpg
    No trimming happened at all. We are taking things super slow with him, (I'd like a sound unicorn to play with). So he'll stay like this for a week & I will deal with the chipping & breaking that we all know will occur. He'll be trimmed next week, and then likely ever 4 weeks going forward.

I'll be back in the next post with more photos.

Winchester likes this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Right Front:
    RF (2).jpg
    RF (4).jpg
    RF (5).jpg
    RF (3).jpg
    RF (6).jpg
    RF (7) No Shoe.jpg

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Left Hind:
    LH (6).jpg
    LH (5).jpg
    LH (4).jpg
    LH (3).jpg
    LH (2).jpg

Right Hind:
    RH (6).jpg
    RH (5).jpg
    RH (4).jpg
    RH (3).jpg
    RH (2).jpg

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Ouch! It always hurts a bit to see feet like that. Glad you’ll be getting your unicorn’s feet into better shape!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Here’s some video of the fantastic man!

Down & back in hand:

Ridden:

GONE ROPING, mkoktavy and ginster like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Oh I wouldn't have it any other way!!! It's even more painful to know that he's had MORE (much more) foot than this at one point......if you remember the nose photo.......his feet were at their worse during that time & you can see it in the photo if you look closely.

ginster and Arem like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

My gawd~!! What did they think? Four times a year is sufficient for hoof trimming and shoeing? That's 10+ weeks growth. He has contracted heels from wearing shoes all the time

What helps contracted heels is a 20 minute a day mud soak. My Percheron had heels worse than this when I got her and for about 6 weeks, I stood her in an artificial mud hole I made. She went up two sizes in shoes and it alleviated her heel pain.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Oh no manes, this isn't a case of "trim only 4 times a year".....this is a case of being trimmed every 6 weeks all year around......yeah......I agree with you though!

He was barefoot at one point......that's when he moved the best (my opinion of course).

It has been quite rainy here the last month + and he is standing in mud every single day when I hose him off (no wash stall at my place, and with riding & showering 3 horses a day in the same spot, it's always muddy there). So he will see what happens.

mooselady likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He can't have shoes on while standing in mud, that defeats the purpose.

10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

:faint:

This looks so much fun to fix, though!

Here's where I'd start. Give it the week, then start flaking away the dead sole and overlaid bar. Take some off, trim appropriately, try again in another week to do the same.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.