Zenyatta loses her 2018 foal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alsosusieq2, May 12, 2018.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

And TBs don’t do that?????o_O
    Because, as far as I know, they totally do.

What about the TB industries nurse mares and the surplus of (unneeded/unnecessary) nurse foals?

The TB breeding industry is far from a shining example of how things should be done.

hamerface, Whoa and doublelranch like this.
  2. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

It would take a lot of persuasion for me to use live cover on my mares. Too much risk, and finding a great stallion in my area would be tough. AI has improved my herd. I wouldn't breed to a common stallion, no matter how close he was, I did AI many years ago, (I had a mare who was a double National Champion and produced 5 national winners; mentioned just to confirm the method of breeding doesn't affect the offspring as someone mentioned.)

I don't see the AI process as a crutch for a mare or stallion, however if my mares ever need TLC with getting preg and carrying a foal to term, you bet she is going to get whatever she needs.

When I had stallions, I collected and shipped them, mares at my house were AI'd. No live cover, didn't need to.

Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

With the cost alone on stud fees, the margin for cons would be ridiculous IMO to allow AI. Heck, Tapit is $300,00 and the majority are pretty high when you get to the successful stallions.

4. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

What about the TB industries nurse mares and the surplus of (unneeded/unnecessary) nurse foals?

Nurse mares are not standard issue, they are only used in extreme emergencies, believe me, nobody wants to use a nurse mare. In all my years of working with racing horses and on the farms, we used a nurse mare maybe 5 times. 2 times the mare died, one savaged her foal, and the others just rejected their foals for unknown reasons.

The reputable nurse mare farms that are used in Lexington KY have a good program that either uses the shots or breeds the mares to have foals in the fall/early winter so that their foals are close to weaning when the spring breeding season starts. The farms usually have a waiting list for the foals.

The Standardbred farm I spent a few years at, they had a mare that had baby fever, to the point she would try to take other mare's foals. She herself had only 1 foal but had issues getting pregnant, so she was kept around and given a shot to stimulate milk in case of an emergency. Her other job was babysitting the weanlings, so she was very happy and well taken care of.

The TB breeding industry is far from a shining example of how things should be done.

I respectfully disagree with this, the TB industry is a staunch protector of the American Thoroughbred. Their studbook is one of the best controlled in the world, their database is meticulous in record keeping, and the JC works very hard to protect the breed and yes, breeding fees. Their position on cloning and recipient mares keep the breed healthy and the gene pool diverse, and yes, live cover is the only way to 100% guarantee you are getting what you paid for. The JC also supports genetic testing to keep genetic diseases to a minimum. The JC is antislaughter and supports aftercare and TIP, and yes, they could be a lot more proactive with the antislaughter, the JC is aware of their responsibilities to the breed and has symposiums and meetings with owners/trainers to discuss aftercare and why it is important.

That is unlike the AQHA which is on the record as pro slaughter and has been very slow with HYPP and now PSSM.

Also, just to throw numbers out there, in 2017 less than 21,000 TB foals were registered with the JC. The AQHA registers about 85,000 a year on average, so far and away the AQHA has way more foals on the ground per year than the TBs even during prime years. Slaughter shows about 10K TBs ship to slaughter while 80K+ are QH/Stock horses.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Pirate likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Because 100s of Thoroughbreds aren’t thrown out every year....

6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

What is the average age of your typical OTTB looking for a new home after the racing career is over?

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Are those slaughter numbers for 2017?

tlwidener likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

That's what I was wondering. QH/stock horses covers registered and unregistered including many different breeds. When the market crashed, lots of "mutts" were hauled to slaughter. Now that the horse market has recovered, that seems like a huge yearly slaughter of QHs. Everyone I know owns QHs, and not a single one has ever been sent for slaughter. They are used 'til their 20's, not retired at 3 or 4 then sold off.

Arem likes this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Just about any solid colored horse, even without papers, that doesn’t look blatantly like an Arab or Saddlebred is called a Quarter Horse.

Ironically, most of the “quarter horses” going to slaughter were probably conceived via live cover.

tlwidener, Whoa and doublelranch like this.
  10. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

So just read that they plan on using the same trainer for the surviving filly as they have been using. Even saw one comment saying they should look for other trainers instead of using Sheriffs. Obviously hasn't done well with Cosmic One (who is apparently very happy in his new career ) and Ziconic (who still has yet to break his maiden at 5 years old). I mean it all depends on the horse yes but I can see where this commenter may be coming from.

Hopefully this time off Zenyatta will get in foal early in the season and carry to term. Wonder who she'l go to?