Zenyatta loses her 2018 foal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alsosusieq2, May 12, 2018.

1. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I 100% agree with @manes with the support of the JC with no recipient mares, cloning, and AI. AI only works in small breed registries. Yes, AI helped a lot with refining Standardbreds, but if you look at pedigrees now, we are bottlenecking with a handful of sires. Sometimes it is that stallion who may not have been a "big name" but has some great genes that will nick well and improve the breed and this is what allows smaller breeding operations or my personal favorite, the homebred, to properly flourish.

Now, it is rare for a good racing mare to produce in the breeding shed, not sure if it is the hormones or what but if a top race mare does drop foals, maybe 1 turns out great, the rest just have a bad a$$ momma in their pedigree.

Is Zenyatta a bad broodmare? Not yet, her first is turning into a very nice event horse, her second baby of racing age has yet to break his maiden, and the filly is just a yearling. You cannot blame the mare for a paddock accident and it has been a tough year for slipping, several mares (both of note and obscure) have slipped their foals, so not sure if there is an issue in common or just a bad year. She may be bred back although it is late in the year, or giver her the summer off and try again next season.

manesntails likes this.
  2. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

I am blaming this crazy weather on some (Not all) of the issues folks seem to be having with their mares.

Idrivetrotter likes this.
  3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

:rofl: AI only works in small breed registries... :rofl:

AQHA is the largest breed registry in the world by FAR. And it works just fine. In many ways it has improved the breed.

All but one QH I've ever owned has been an AI baby and parentage verified.

4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

What a shame :( hate to hear about any lost foals.

Its easy to say good race mares rarely produce but really, how many chances do they get compared to the boys? 10? 15?
    American Pharoah has already bred over 400 mares.
    Its a numbers game.

5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

This is true and something I didn't consider. Also I didn't realize Z had already had 6 foals and only 1 had been absorbed. I guess my comments are not fitting for her.

Arem and Copper17 like this.
  6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I was going to say this--plus how many mares have produced multiple champion foals?

Arem likes this.
  7. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Look at Pharoahs dam. His full siblings (Cleopatra and Patrick) are either retired or not that fantastic, I know he has more but those are the only 2 I can think of and know are/were racing. But she had Pharoah who was a freak of nature on the track. So it's a matter of luck and training if a dam throws a champ.

manesntails and Arem like this.
  8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Leslie's Lady produced both Mendelssohn and Beholder but those are the only two that I know of from her.

Arem and Copper17 like this.
  9. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

I know these are all anecdotes and not evidence, but it's still kind of fun to look into!

Weekend Surpirse was no slouch on the track and produced A.P. Indy and Summer Squall, both of whom comfortably broke at least $1m in earnings. I think five or so of her other foals broke six figures on the track, and most of her foals produced quite well themselves.

Secret Status produced Dunkirk, who was pretty successful on the track and as a sire.

Rachel Alexandra's only had the two foals I can think of, but Rachels Valentina was awesome.

tlwidener and Pony123 like this.
  10. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Just my opinion, but the AQHA is one of the registries I hold up as "Not good for the breed". The AQHA has an attitude of "breed it, keep breeding it, and dump at auction/slaughter if not right" There is not a repro system the AQHA doesn't like, AI, recipient mare, cloning, etc are not good for the best interest of the breed. The AQHA is a numbers racket and the encouragement of breeding genetic malformations is almost criminal.

All of my Standardbreds are AI, there is no live cover in Standardbreds and while embryo transfer is legal almost nobody does it as trainers do not support embryo transfers at sales. Many believe that it is inferior mares that are used as the recipient and while I cannot agree, I've not seen too many embryo transfers make it to the winner's circle so there may be something to their beliefs.

Can AI work if done with due diligence? Yes, but again, it takes due diligence to keep the numbers from being artificially inflated and having too little genetic diversity.

manesntails and Pirate like this.