Zenyatta loses her 2018 foal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alsosusieq2, May 12, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Would they still limit one foal per mare per year?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think we have enough horses on the ground as it is and should eliminate recip and AI completely.

But a very fast and competitive mare sometimes is hormonally more masculine, so the natural over production of testosterone, or under production of estrogen may be affecting their foals during gestation.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

That won’t solve anything. Mares will still be bred. They’ll just be bred by lower quality stallions than they might have been otherwise. Unless the owners are super rich.

And no, I won’t support any changes to the breeding industry that ensures that only the super rich, who can fly their mare to their stallion of choice, can breed.

AI doesn’t mean more foal are born. AI means that higher quality foals with greater diversity are born.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Then at least allow recip mares for those cases..

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't agree with that. Why put more mares that, if they follow suit with their dam's reproductive incompacities, on the ground?
    Unsound for breeding or having difficulties bearing live foals is a weakness. Breed the strong to the strong, that is not necessarily the fastest to the fastest.

Idrivetrotter and ginster like this.
  6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Agree. And being in Kentucky, I do not want AI and recipe mares allowed, which would affect our industry here. And, agree that if a female of any species has a difficult time producing viable offspring, that is a genetic issue and we should let nature determine and sort out the fittest.
    Very sad about Zenyatta's baby.

manesntails and equinitis like this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

While I am very sad that Zenyatta has not produced a mini me and that she has had a terrible time of it, I agree with those against the JC allowing "modern" breeding techniques. I've known many breeders over the years who will not keep a mare, no matter how spectacular she performed at her job, in the brood mare band if she cannot conceive, foal and raise that foal with little to no artificial help. This serves to keep the costs of producing working ranch horses down as well as weeding out those with genetic deficiencies.

8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Maybe she shouldn't be bred?

I think with the advent of modern techniques... we don't always consider breeding soundness. Breeding worthiness? Yes. But many many mares sustain a pregnancy only with help. That probably isn't a good thing long term for the breed(s).

Though she's a phenomenal mare... maybe she's not SOUND to breed. Like Manes said, maybe the stuff that made her exceptionally successful on the track makes her less successful as a producer. Could it be extra testosterone?

There are athletic QH mares producing, but sometimes I think racing is just a bit harder on their young bodies. IDK.

manesntails likes this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

So far, only this foal’s death can be fully blamed on her. The colt could have been “her fault” too, but that’s only 2 out of 6 foals.

Her filly dying after weaning can’t be blamed on her. So I’d hardly call her not sound or worthy to breed on 2 out of 6 lost foals that could be “her fault.”

Pirate likes this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

True @Arem. 2, possibly only 1, of 6 is not terrible. I "spoke" out of turn with regard to this mare.

Arem likes this.