Zenyatta loses her 2018 foal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alsosusieq2, May 12, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It's been a bad year for breeding and Zenyatta has had a rough go as far as trouble in her broodmare status. Looks like she lost her foal and they confirmed it for this year, she had carried for some time too. I have enjoyed following her career racing and as well her retirement. So far her foals have not produced well at the track, but I like last years filly.

She had contracted placentitis and had apparently lost the foal a bit ago, this was just official posting if it. The foal had been sired by Into Mischief. I've been a little puzzled by their choices of stallions myself, but who knows.

Edited added -

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I saw this a couple days ago. Poor mare has had a hard time with her babies. :(

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

American Cleopatra also lost her Uncle Mo foal.

Zenyatta seems to have a black cloud hanging over her.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

In my experience, it's not unusual for exceptional race mares to not be exceptionally lucky in producing, let alone producing horses of their same calibre.

5. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I have wondered about this as well. She was so exceptional on the track that I'm not surprised her foals have been a bit of a disappointment in comparison...

She does seem to have an extremely rough go of it as a broodmare though, is this the 3rd or 4th foal she lost?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Her War Front filly died after a paddock accident as a filly, she lost a colt shortly after birth. I think that was last year or the year before. And now this one.

She has 3 healthy foals, I believe. Cosmic One is retired and starting a career as a saddle horse. Ziconic is still racing. I don’t know anything about the 3rd.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Her 3rd surfing foal isn' even 1 yet so still tough. Ziconic hasn' broken his maiden and Cosmic One is now being trained as a saddle horse

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Didn't hear this, what a year it has been.

9. Alsosusieq2

You're probably right, it certainly seems that way with expectations so high.

10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

The Jockey Club needs to go with the times and allow recip mares...and AI, while we´re at it...
    I know the stud farms are where most of the money is made, but really, there is no good reason to still forbid those in the times of easy DNA tests...