Zarr - Trakehner Stallion

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Shannon, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

2. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member+

I really don't know much about him but I think he is a lovely stallion. I really like him.

3. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Thanks Angie, I think so too...I guess I'm scratching my head as to why he's not ATA approved!

4. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

Ooh he's quite the looker :)

5. taliacristianna

taliacristianna Senior Member+

Someone mentioned his approval status on the COTH forum some time ago.

If I remember correctly he is not approved for a combination of reasons.

1. He was injured as a young horse and was therefore unable to complete the stallion testing. His website states: "Due to injury, his show career was cut short after winning at Devon as a two year old."

2. His foals have now proven themselves so well in the hunter ring that approval has now become a moot point.

Shannon likes this.
  6. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

He looks lovely in his trotting pictures and does seem to stamp his foals with his lovely shoulder. However he also seems to pass on his upright hocks and toe-ing out at the back. Neither are major problems and if you are specifically breeding for a high-end hunter foal then he is definately a good stallion to produce a marketable and successful foal. I wouldnt breed to him for any other purpose but then the hunter market is so strong at the minute there's no need for him to be marketed as anything other than a hunter sire.

Shannon likes this.
  7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yep, he was injured. He lives at a farm not far from a friend of mine, and she has a couple of his kids - great minds.

His offspring do VERY well in the Hunter ring.

Shannon likes this.
  8. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

So, I must ask, in all the discussions we've had recently about Trakes not really being consistent sires of over fences horses, why was he not mentioned? :wink: While I don't intend to breed for a strictly hunter, I don't think I'd end up with a 100% hunter if crossed with my mare, and really honestly can't find much else that consistently stamps foals with good form over fences. At least, most of the ATA stallions are never tried over fences nor are their offspring :wink: And that's aside from Special Memories and Windfall, both of which have too much TB for what I want, even if SM's dam is the dam of Touch of Class :)

9. taliacristianna

10. taliacristianna