Your view on the Megasus horserunners?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by icelandic_welsh, Aug 9, 2017.

1. icelandic_welsh

icelandic_welsh Registered

Hi everyone! It's me again, 3 posts on one day, getting the hang of it.

Salvador, my horse, had a lot of problems with iron horseshoes lately so I decided to remove them and I started my search for non-iron horseshoes and I came across the Megasus horserunners.

I want to but horseshoes because I really enjoy riding outside, but we don't have any sand roads here and we have to walk a lot on hard surfaces. Without shoes his hooves really ravel out. I came across these horseshoes and I was wondering what you guys think of it. They are not available yet, but they are going to be available soon.

Have you heard of them, and what are your opinions on them?
    Greetings from the Netherlands! banner.png

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I would just get a pair of boots to ride in instead, if you don't want/can't shoe him. 1) every time the horse steps on himself or interferes he'll catch the tabs 2) how do you keep the velcro clean when the shoes are off (I believe they have little covers so back to 1) 3) not sure what the effects long term application of glues to the hoof wall health are 4) hooves have to very clean and dry for adhesives to bond well - not so bad if you have a clean, dry barn with a concrete floor and a well behaved horse, not so practical if your horse lives out or is fidgety

secuono likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Try them out. Since they're pretty new, we need someone on the forum, like you, to try them and then give your opinion.

I think they're cute and as long as he doesn't get any brush tangled in them, they ought to stay on pretty well.

Varisha likes this.
  4. icelandic_welsh

icelandic_welsh Registered

I also don't want him on iron shoes anymore because it costs so much and I only "need" them once or twice a month sometimes, so this looks like a good alternative. I am also not sure what the effects are of the glue on the hoof. I guess that they made sure that it does not harm the horse, horse welfare is their "thing". Thanks for the response! I am not sure about the other boots, the ones that also go around the pastern (if that is the correct english word for it)

I would love to buy them and to try them out! But they are not very cheap and my money isn't growing on my back.. But maybe I will try them out!

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The glue won't hurt him. The part of the hoof accepting the glue is dead horn and the periople, outside coating on the wall, won't deteriorate from having glue on it.

6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Boots will be way more cost effective since you'll only need them sometimes.

VermilionStrife and Varisha like this.