Your favorite manure fork!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by FarFromOver, Nov 17, 2009.

1. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

Tell me about it! Where did you get it, how much, why you like it, etc. Links are great:D.

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

One that's not in my hands? ;)

I haven't found a favorite. I don't like the steel ones that much. They get heavy real fast.

3. FarFromOver

OK but don't the plastic ones break a lot?

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Some I guess. The ones I get here locally are so cheap I guess it hasn't bothered me to replace them. I don't have to muck every day though. My horses are usually on pasture.

5. bnwalker2

bnwalker2 Senior Member+

Mine came in a car John bought, LOL. It's old and kind of rusty but very well made and I don't see it falling apart anytime soon.

I personally HATE the plastic ones. They break, bend, and just don't feel right to use. The plastic one I have now came from Budweiser... when John's dad bought his trailer from them, the fork was with it and they let him keep it. That thing is a pain in the you-know-what to use. LOL

6. FarFromOver

I really only need one for the trailer but I don't want it to break when I hit the little edge on the trailer lol. I found some steel ones but they're $40!!!!!

7. Rummymuffin

Rummymuffin Senior Member+

We use the plastic DuraForks. The other brands of plastic forks seem to break easier than the DuraFork. Most of the ones I've used last a few years, which is good enough for me. I had bad shoulders so a metal fork would be awful. Too much weight. The little ones that people get for their trailers drive me nuts though, takes twice as long to muck!

8. barnprincess

barnprincess Banned

I use the basket plastic pitch forks. I LOOVEEEE THEM. they make sifting through shavings 10x easier than a flat pitchfork I have a normal plastic pitch fork for the paddocks ive never in all the years i been into horses, ever had one break on me unless the horse stepped on it lol. it was $25 from agway
    but this is what it looks like
    http://www.horse.com/Stall-Fork-Head-Replacement-Head-Only-BRW33.html (thats just the head)

9. kickspots

kickspots Senior Member

I feel the same way! ^^^^^

I personally prefer a square type shovel for the trailer, I guess that wouldn't work if you have ridged mats but for the trailer I use works great and then I just give it a quick hose down at home

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member+

I have the same type of fork! My current BO had the regular ol'pitch fork! When I moved in I brought my fork over, and he laughed & teased at me saying "why are you bringing your own fork!?! What's wrong with mine, not good enough?!?" I jsut shrugged and said, "well it'll do more good here then in my garage, and I like it cause you can put more in it & sift better...and I won't have to make 3 trips from the indoor to pick up poo!!" He joked and said "well make sure it stays are least 6 inches away from the other forks, as it's not part of the herd yet!" (kinda inside joke, but the herd of horses were treating my horse that way, but it was 6feet!)

Dunno what possessed my BO to try out my fork, but now he LOVES it! Says it was a bit to get use to as it likes to flop left & right at 1st, but once you get the hang of it it is SOOOO much easier to sift through everything. I just laughed when I walked in, and saw him using it.....I teasingly said "Guess my forks part of the herd now eh?!" :rofl: