Your fave low NSC COMPLETE feed for little old ponies with Cushings

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by slc, Feb 8, 2019.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I'll get a look at it.

Just now, I'm transitioning him slowly to hay pellets, soaked, with Grow N Win. I didn't have a lot of other options that were low enough in calories. Most senior feeds are designed to help horses gain weight, which is not a problem he has. He's just right.

2. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Triple crown also makes fortified hay cubes (timothy ones for the cushings babies). Super easy to soak and are super cute and tiny.

3. WP Blue

WP Blue Senior Member

I was in your shoes over 4 years ago with my POA gelding. He has PPID and is an air fern - he couldn’t even tolerate a couple different ration balances back in his hay chewing days. I figured even the lowest nsc senior feed would still send him over the edge if he were soley fed it. We feed him a mash of alfalfa pellets, cubes, beet pulp, and a regional vitamin/mineral supplement. His ACTH level has stayed under 20 since he’s been on this diet. His coat shines even the dead of winter. Although you don’t want to mix and match feeds, we found that this diet is much cheaper per pound and really isn’t much work to prepare( maybe 30 seconds max to mix it all together). Plus, we found a mill that sells high quality alfalfa pellets by the ton and half ton totes , making it really economical to buy. Just some food for thought (no pun intended ;) ).

slc likes this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I like the Elk Grove Stable Mix products. They have a LITE version now.

Stable Mix Low Carb Formula is a complete, forage based pelleted feed specially formulated to provide your horse a low starch and sugar diet with all the daily recommended vitamins and minerals, as well as rice bran for the coat and biotin for healthy hoof growth. Stable Mix Low Carb Formula contains no corn or molasses. Stable Mix Low Carb Formula is lower in sugar and starch than most low-carb feeds in the current market. The NSC's are below 11% providing the best possible diet we offer for horses with special dietary needs; and, for horse owners wishing to provide their horse a well-balanced, low carbohydrate diet. Stable Mix contains Alltech prebiotic & probiotic ingredients, and Zinpro 4 Plex C and Zinpro 120, bio-available trace minerals containing Zinc, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt. These minerals are essential in the health of your horse, improving hoof growth, coat condition, immune response, bone development and feed digestibility. The result is a feed product with superior results - a nutritionally balanced, highly palatable diet that veterinarians and horse owners can use with ultimate confidence.

5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Check out Mccauleys Alam.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

We can't get that here, but thanks for the suggestion.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

We can't get that here, but thanks for the suggestion.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Curious what number should ACTH be for Cushings? A friend's horse was just tested at 33 and the vet said he was just under the Cushings line. But, you talk about staying under 20.

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

You are able to order it however if you really want to but shipping would be quite a bit. If you're in Ohio you could always drive down and stock up.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

No, sorry, that's not feasible timewise or financially. Thanks for the suggestion. Triple Crown is available around here, and I'm looking into that.