Your fave low NSC COMPLETE feed for little old ponies with Cushings

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by slc, Feb 8, 2019.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

Anyone else got a pony that's reached the end of his hay-eating days? What's your favorite COMPLETE feed. Looking for one feed rather than mixing different products(ie don't wanna do buy beet pulp, alfalfa cubes plus supplements, just looking for one bagged feed).

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I do Triple Crown Senior and soaked alfalfa cubes to get long stem fiber in him (~8# each per day). He's not PPID but my mare is so I have the knowledge from her, and I'm NSC conscious with him. If I didn't want to mix I'd look at TC Natural Balance cubes (fortified cubes so it's all in one). Otherwise I'd look at something like TC Senior, which is a complete feed, but you are still at 11.7% NSC which some Cushing's horses cannot handle. Last option would be something like a RB and hay pellets. Alfalfa hay is going to be lowest NSC typically, cubes or pellets. You could try a bagged chopped forage like TC Safe Starch, but my guy who cannot chew hay also cannot chew that. What is the pony's condition like? Easy keeper? Hard keeper?

ginster likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Pony is in good condition as far as not carrying a lot of fat; he has lost muscle since his PPID started.

I am thinking because of the condition of his teeth that any hay product (hay cubes, pellets) is unlikely to work. His teeth are breaking due to PPID. The dentist can't sedate him(we have a few options we can try, will do that within a few months) so we're very limited what we can do with dental work at the moment.

I'm thinking a beet pulp based complete feed might do it.

He had chronic laminitis from bad feeding, obesity and confinement for years before I got him.

I'm not going to feed him oats, manes.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

I hear your frustrations with the teeth (n) I think you replied to my thread about my PPID mare's teeth and how carpy they've become since her diagnosis. If he's in good condition and can likely tolerate the 11.7% NSC, and you want complete, I'd 100% go for TC Senior. It's alfalfa and beet pulp based, can be a complete feed, and is extruded so easy to feed dry with minimal risk of choke or makes a really nice warm mash. The only thing I'd caution, as I've learned with my old toothless non-PPID guy, is they finish their food much quicker without hay. The cubes last my guy a long time because I make them real mushy, but if I were doing all grain, unless you're doing many meals a day, I'd look at one of those treat ball things that you can put a scoop of grain in and they can roll around (assuming you have an area where eating off the ground is ok), or even do something like an Equilix tub (2.something% NSC) to give him something to produce saliva and hopefully keep ulcers at bay.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

I hear your frustrations with the teeth (n) I think you replied to my thread about my PPID mare's teeth and how carpy they've become since her diagnosis. If he's in good condition and can likely tolerate the 11.7% NSC, and you want complete, I'd 100% go for TC Senior. It's alfalfa and beet pulp based, can be a complete feed, and is extruded so easy to feed dry with minimal risk of choke or makes a really nice warm mash. The only thing I'd caution, as I've learned with my old toothless non-PPID guy, is they finish their food much quicker without hay. The cubes last my guy a long time because I make them real mushy, but if I were doing all grain, unless you're doing many meals a day, I'd look at one of those treat ball things that you can put a scoop of grain in and they can roll around (assuming you have an area where eating off the ground is ok), or even do something like an Equilix tub (2.something% NSC) to give him something to produce saliva and hopefully keep ulcers at bay.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

You know......the old dressage masters wanted horses producing saliva and constantly (slowly, gently) working their jaw ('chewing') and constantly able to swallow all that saliva that gets churned up(so, like, head and neck not in an extreme position...).

Considering all I've been reading about horses in motion or in work getting higher acid in their stomachs, seems like the old dressage masters had a pretty good idea going.

9. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Triple Crown Senior. Beet pulp based and very low in sugar.

ginster likes this.
  10. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+