Your Daily Moo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Apr 12, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I don't know the name of the Moo but she was one of the Herefords on the farm where we lived when I was born. That's my dad holding her and that's me at about the age of about 3 absolutely delighted to be petting her. One of my favorite pics. :)
    medadcow1964.JPG

Arem, equinitis, Bakkir and 8 others like this.
  2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Bovine red mare? :wink:

Dona Worry likes this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Your Daily Moo: Lich Queen!
    Evil undead necromancer? Cute little baby?
    WE MAY NEVER KNOW. 20180418_074355.jpg 20180418_074352.jpg

ginster, manesntails and froglander like this.
  4. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Those eyelashes:loveflag::loveflag::loveflag:

Squeeeeeee! I need a baby cow that stays a baby cow. :heartbeat:

5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Awww. I love this thread. As a kid, my grandparents raised cattle for milk and meat. I remember one year, they had an orphaned calf. His name was, wait for it, Bully. His mother died of something, but we never could figure out what it was. My dad guessed a disease, because even the coyotes wouldn't take her body. My grandparents were big into the circle of life and they had this area in the woods where they would drag dead cows and let the wild animals eat before grabbing the carcass and burying it. They didn't lose many cows a year, so it worked out.

Anyway, this little orphaned Bully learned very quickly that humans were his new mother. We would feed him every two hours and if he was hungry before that, all we'd hear is him calling us. If we didn't get to him within a couple minutes, he met us at the door to the house - no pen could contain that little monster. He was the sweetest thing and I still remember running all over the farm with this little calf galloping behind me.

I'm not quite sure what ended up happening to him after he was weaned. My grandparents didn't want to keep him because we were a milk and cattle operation and already had enough bulls, so I think they gave him to a family down the road who wanted to get into breeding or whatever. He was completely tame, so he was a nice bull to have around.

Dona Worry and manesntails like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Your Daily Moo: Linkita!
    She is Lexus's momma, which makes her Lamborghini'a grandma.
    She is tiny. She in next to another small cow, and you can see the size difference.
    Linkita does not know she is tiny. She thinks she is A REAL BIG DEAL, possibly the Boss cow. She thinks that ALL the water should be hers and she should get a really big section of the bunk.
    The ACTUALLY Boss cow, Kluck, can and does pick her up and toss her like a rag doll, but Linkita is made of steel springs and spite, and learns nothing.
    6397.jpeg

Arem, froglander, equinitis and 2 others like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Gosh, I need to keep up here!
    Your Daily Moo: Dinosaur.
    I can't tell in Dinosaur has a strong will to live, but is incredibly unlucky/accident prone, or if he is determined to die in the most creative way possible. Either way, he is a rare bull calf we are keeping. 20180423_081608.jpg

Arem, CJ, DocsLglyBlonde and 2 others like this.
  8. froglander

froglander Senior Member

What a cute face! What sorts of things does he get up to?

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Drowning, strangulation, pneumonia, scours.
    Just waiting for him to find a light socket to lick...

Arem, Loona and ginster like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Specifically, he was born unable to walk. We don't know why. And then he got scours AND pneumonia within 12 hours which is just odd, so we put this gross little monster in a hutch and kept him fed and flipped and dry and essentially waited for him to die, which he refused to do.
    Did I mention he had ZERO suckle reflex?!
    Last week we had a nice day so I opened up his hutch and dragged him to the front so he could get some sun. At 5 days old, he still couldn't lift his head, let alone stand or walk, so I wasn't worried about him running off.
    About 15 minutes later, I hear a splash, look over and see FRICKIN DINOSAUR, UPSIDE DOWN, IN THE ONE AND ONLY PUDDLE WITHIN 100 YARDS OF HIS HUTCH.
    How he got out of his hutch and 15 feet away is still a mystery to me. It's a miracle he didn't drown.
    Did I MENTION he was born on Friday the 13th?!

He has been doing better, finally, so yesterday we fitted him with a collar and hooked him up like a real calf.
    He immediately flipped over and cut off his wind pipe.
    We righted him and tried again. He seemed fine.
    A half hour later I stroll by and he has managed to tangle himself up to the point of a slow death by strangulation.

He no longer gets a collar.

His suckle reflex is still sorely lacking, but if you stick the bottle in his mouth and mash his mouth up and down with your hand he does swallow, so, progress.

Arem, Rainbowaholic, Sam C. and 2 others like this.