Your Daily Moo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I tested this out on another board, with great success, so here it is! Welcome tooooo:
    Your Daily Moo!
    Come on in and settle down! Help yourself to the cheese platter or fruit salad, there is plenty of tea, milk, or wine to suit your beverage needs! Don't be afraid to ask questions, and if you have a cow of your own to add, go right ahead! The more Moos, the better!
    For your first Moo: Dova!
    20180402_185835.jpg
    Dova needs to be in the center of everything. If there is a party, it don't start 'till she walks in. Sass to spare. Right now she is still a heifer, I anticipate she will be a fun cow!

2. slc

slc Senior Member

If I want to get a cow that will be really friendly to me, how young do I have to get her? Would I have to get one just a few days old and work with her and handle her myself, to get her to be friendly? Can they be changed when they're older?

My friend long ago(she's long dead) had cows she raised from birth that acted basically like horses. They loved to be groomed, scratched, very easy to lead about and really liked people. You could stand there and scratch their necks and chins all day.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Nah, you can get an older one. A lot also depends on the individual cow. I have a couple that, despite attempts to turn them into pets at a very young age, have an obvious screw loose and are dangerously wild.
    I have others that have always sought out human attention and are like very large dogs. My cousin had a show cow that, at 18 months old, wore a halter for the first time and was instantly perfect. I literally walked up to her out on pasture, slipped the halter in and led her out. Halterbreaking, done. Won showmanship on that cow for YEARS and probably spent less than 10 hours practicing.
    I had another that despite months of tried and true halter breaking methods, just never got it.
    As a general rule, a cow you can halterbreak by tying with the halter, feeding them, and leaving them tied. As long as they are tied in a way that they can lie down, eat, and not tangle, you can leave them there as long as you want. They essentially halter break themselves.
    I could sell you an old lady, and she'd be taking cookies out of your hand in a week.

ginster likes this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Actually, if you have a burning desire to have LOTS of your own milk, I have an old lady I could be easily persuaded to part with. But she is a heck of a milker, so NOT candidate for hand milking. You'd need a bucket system.
    Dova, today's Moo, you could probably halter break in about a day. She LOVES attention. I bet if you introduced her to a brush or cookies she'd be your new best friend.

ginster and ~tiffy~ like this.
  5. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Does one have a video of a Moo mooing? :D

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

@Dona Worry cute thread idea. I loved my two heifer calves. Eva was a bit off in the noodle but still manageable to train. Evelyn was a doll. Loved people, very calm and easy to work with.

Just get two,.....or four, to bottle raise. Work with them for a few minutes every time you feed them, then keep the best of the bunch.

7. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Between Freddie and the Moos, you are/will be consistently making my day!

froglander, bellalou and ginster like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Your Daily Moo: Spooky!
    She was born on Friday the 13th. Seemed appropriate to post today. 20180412_185345.jpg

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I love the idea of a daily moo! Excellent!

manesntails and Dona Worry like this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Out of the office for the week, now it is time for moo-therapy!

20180218_204948.jpg