You don’t realize how many muscles it takes...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by NaeNae, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

To clean stalls when you haven’t done it full time for four years.

PHEW man.

I used to work full time in the horse industry doing barns and stuff. Just over 10 years I did it for, and the last 4 years I’ve been full time at a “normal people job” and have had my horse on lease for the last 8 months so NO cleaning stalls since late spring.

I just picked up a weekend barn job for exercise and horse time and gas money, feeding lunch and mucking stalls and paddocks at a boarding/breeding facility. 6 stalls and 3 stall/paddock combos. Started last Sunday and MAN!

Am I ever SORE! I totally forgot how good of shape I was in mucking 10-30 stalls full time 6 days a week for years. No wonder I used to have manly shoulders and arms!

:rofl:

I feel so pathetic. My upper body is ACHING! Plus she beds DEEP and I’ve always been a shallow bedder. And I SUCK at banking shavings in deep bed stalls to clean. It’s been so aggravating.

Basically just a I’m pathetic whine post, also why can’t barn jobs pay better because I miss doing this full time!!!

heartland, Binca, ginster and 2 others like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

LOL. It is definitely hard work and no other job uses the muscles in exactly the same way. Of course when you get to be my age you kind of feel like you 'overdid' all the time, even if you do it every day.

Tylenol and stretching helps!

NaeNae likes this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Thank god I do hot yoga 5-6 days a week, that definitely helps!

manesntails likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

You know I wanted so badly to do that, I tried it and I had to run out of the room after 4 minutes. I have asthma and the heat in the room really bothered me.

5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Heat is also why I can’t do sauna, although we have a nice one and husband and lots of friends do use it. It’s like I’m suffocating and even my eye lids feel too hot when I blink.

We only have three stalls and three paddocks, and I still lack muscle strength to enjoy doing it. I do mornings, hubby does nights.

NaeNae likes this.
  6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I LOVE it. Even though I’m Canadian, I much prefer the uncomfortable heat. I LOVE dripping wth sweat and being too hot. Hot yoga just let’s me focus on the uncomfortable and ignore it. Loooooove it!

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol, I did barn chores for a couple of days when the jumping team was at a show. Day one about killed me because every stall had been used the night before. I was so glad when someone turned up on day two to ask if I needed a hand....OH YES!

I used to do that for fun, and free rides, as a kid....now...no, can do my own stall at shows, but not all of them.

bobo and horses and NaeNae like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just toss the shavings onto the wall.
    The balls all roll out. :LOL:

sunset878 and NaeNae like this.
  9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I know that! But it JUST DOESNT WORK for ME! Maybe it’s cause they are sooooo deeply bedded that it takes forever? Or I’m just out of practice. I have a friend who just zooms along banking stalls and I HATE it. LOL

manesntails likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't pause to watch for them to roll out. Just shovel, shovel, shovel in a line, towards the wall, then pick up what's visible. It goes quicker that way.

NaeNae likes this.