WWF In Warmbloods And Forced To Reveal In Germany

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by LoveTrail, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Is it known where the gene originated from in the warmbloods?
    - like hypp being linked to Impressive

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Frame. I am talking about Overo Lethal White syndrome.
    Where did I mention HYPP?

Arem, Puddincup and mooselady like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I couldn't find anything about an origin. Might be hard to trace back since it seems to be spread through many different bloodlines just going by the stallions mentioned here.

DelP likes this.
  4. DelP

DelP Senior Member

According to VGL there is a low percentage of TB’s affected which combined with the variety of Warmblood bloodlines affected has some of the people who are investigating believing that the mutation is not recent.

ginster likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Glad I wasn’t the only one confused...

ginster likes this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

As wide spread as it is, I have no doubt it's been around for quite a while...

DelP likes this.
  7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

ginster and DelP like this.
  8. raisethebar

raisethebar Senior Member

As a breeder (ish?) currently crossing TB's onto WB's, I can personally say I will not be choosing any positive stallions in the future. While it's not necessarily the popular opinion, I think it's our job as breeders to ensure we are bettering the breed and producing the best possible offspring as a result. Breeding to a horse with a known genetic defect goes against all of that, regardless if the mare is negative or not. There are so many phenomenal breeding horses out there, I understand this can have a negative effect both on the quality horses who test positive, and on the contrary, the stallions who should be gelded who test positive, but there is flaws in every theory. I guess I compare it to a major neurological or conformation concern - sure only 50% of his foals inherit it, but that is a massive risk when we're supposed to be breeding to develop, not degrade.. Of course, to play devils advocate you could argue that there are casualties in every science experiment, which ultimately is what Breeding is, but regardless wouldn't you want to minimize the chances of said casualties in the name of being responsible?

As mentioned, WFFS is not a 'new' thing, it was only discovered recently and we, as a community, have gotten lucky so far as to not have created more problems (that we know of), but taking that known risk is doing a great disservice to the industry and ultimately, the horses.

Again, there are flaws in every system or theory and this isn't meant to start a fire fight, but I hope it the news of WFFS brings more awareness to breeding in general. Like everything, Breeding is constantly evolving - I mean, just look at the stallions who were 'top quality' 30 years ago compared to what we gravitate towards now, and i'm sure in another 30 years things will look vastly different.. but as advocates for correct breeding, we have to be held accountable.

I can't speak to the requirements of testing in North America, however as mare owners it's our job to request this information from the Stallion Owners; eventually if enough people inquire or pass on stallions due to lack of testing, Stallion Owners will comply and it will become the norm. The Farm which stands the stallion my mare is currently in foal to was tested, along with her other stallions.

Science has a funny way of cleaning up our messes, and I only hope breeders see it that way as this becomes a more mainstream discussion.

ETA:

Ironically a relative post just showed up in my news feed. I *believe* Charlotte Jorst (A GP Dressage Rider in California) purchased Botticelli and requested he be gelded. Her statement on FB was "I love stallions but I will not support a defective gene. Botichelli seems to like being a gelding and trailriding. He’s amazing. ❤️" It was posted in conjunction to a link to an article about his gelding. Her statement in the article reads, ""I'm taking him to Florida next week to compete him and then we’ll see how he does! He’s amazing," Jorst told Eurodressage. When asked why she gelded him, Jorst replied, "exclusively because he’s a (WFFS) carrier. I love stallions. I had to do this. It was purely because of the genetics.""

Big round of applause for this woman!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    LoveTrail, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.