Wow...just...wow

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by OldGreyMare, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Your missing my point. Breaks, medically, do not exist. They are all fractures. You can have a bone sticking clear out the skin and that's an open complete fracture. Anything from bone chips to shattered bones are fractures (avulsions and complex, respectivly) Doctors or vets might use the term 'break' because it's a layman phrase.

Doesn't change anything about your mare, but that was scl's point.

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Break = fracture. Please don't say differentt in front of an orthopedic doctor, it won't go well, lol. Our local well known orthopedic surgeon had a rant on Facebook recently when someone tried to correct him on a fracture vs a break. :rofl:

So this was 6 years ago? Hard to follow the timeline.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Squirt!! and NBChoice like this.
  3. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Yes, was when she was a 2yr old...so 6 years ago...

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I don't unfortunately. A friend just sold her 2 year old to a companion only home. He broke his fetlock and was ran through the kill pen when she bought him. For the year and a half she had him, he stayed sound with zero maintenance and it wasn't until she started really working him that she noticed something was wrong.

No doubt you'll do right by Luna, she is in a good home.

endurgirl and OldGreyMare like this.
  5. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

I’m sorry OGM. :(

6. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Thanks Stardozer...Luna will live the life of ease here and we will take it one day at a time...she is a curious mare, full of life and I am really enjoying having her here at our farm. No matter what the fates may bring, we will face it head on

peg4x4 likes this.
  7. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

Welcome!!!!

8. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't understand why you used in your sentence, the two words, 'break and fracture.' Or why you separated them with an 'and', which gives the reader the impression that you believe a 'break' and a 'fracture' are two separate, different things.

The terms 'break' and 'fracture' are generally thought of as synonyms (meaning the same things).

And in fact this sentence makes it extremely clear that in your mind, 'break' and 'fracture' mean two separate, distinctly different things:

"the vet pointed out both, though the fracture, to my untrained eye, I am unable to find it but the break is evident."

So, once again, I ask: how do you define the words 'break' and 'fracture.' And what difference do you feel exists in meaning, between the two words.

There is no agenda here except that I am trying to understand your usage of two words, 'break' and 'fracture.' I figure that if I can somehow get an answer to the question, I will learn something useful, and that the next time I hear someone say 'break AND fracture', I will have some idea of what they may mean.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 8:04 AM
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

What is the difference between a break and a fracture? You're not explaining that. You just keep repeating over and over that there was a BREAK AND A FRACTURE. What I'm looking for is your definition of the difference.

Look. I have absolutely no concerns about the welfare of the horse, you gave complete information and xrays, so it's obvious you're taking excellent care of the horse, you have already said the horse has a home with you forever, furthermore, IT'S YOU, so I have absolute confidence in the horse being treated well and that you can deal with the feelings that arise, so there is absolutely nothing to ask a question about except what the difference is between a break and a fracture.

ginster likes this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Weighing in here against my better judgement, as a lay person, who has no deep understanding of medical things...

When I read fracture I imagine a plate with a crack in it.

When I read break I imagine separate pieces.

Might not be correct, but that’s what I think of. Really does not service anyone to be berating OGM fir terminology or lack of it....the point surely is to think about Luna’s future.

YES, I get that we should understand and use the correct words, but don’t labor the point.