Wow...just...wow

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by OldGreyMare, Nov 7, 2018.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Got the xrays back from the vet that she took a few days ago...I got a chance to sit down and really look at them. Back when Luna was a 2yr old she apparently kicked a support beam in the metal barn my friend who bred Trixie and kept Luna at. When she had the vet out, he said it was a "bowed tendon". Um...wrong!

Turns out, she broke AND fractured that left hind fetlock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what I am going to do, though she is on a good joint supplement and equioxx twice a week, which the vet said is good for her. Not off or gimpy on that at all...Just a really good mare that some vet misdiagnosed and didn't treat as it probably should of been.

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

What's the long term prognosis for her? I assume arthritis is a real possibility?

4. OldGreyMare

She already has some arthritic changes...the vet said exercise and her moving around will help. She doesn't see a big issue with breaking her to ride, as if I did, a bit IF there, it would be to meander around the farm, and at a walk, trot. We would have to watch so she doesn't do any further damage to that joint. I am also looking into a support boot of some kind, there are some other avenues I am looking into.

Any suggestions @lucky_pine you have? You ever seen something like this?

I am going to get a 2nd opinion on this for sure...as the trainer I would use works closely with the vet I am good friends with and use to work for. I want her to look at these as well.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Broke and fractured? How do you define these two words?

6. OldGreyMare

SLC...would you care for the Merriam Webster dictionary definition? There was a break AND a fracture involved when she did this as a 2yr old, the vet pointed out both, though the fracture, to my untrained eye, I am unable to find it but the break is evident.

If your however, asking for something else, please, enlighten me.

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I would get a consult with Dr Bobby Hunt at Hagyards. See if he will look at those roads for you. He's my surgeon. It's also extremely important that you stay on top of her hoof management and keep her balanced. How old is she now? I must be missed it.

8. OldGreyMare

@BluemoonOKy she is 8 yrs old now. And yes, my farrier is very aware of what is going on and we have a schedule for Luna...when I got her, the guy who I got her from, hadn't had her hooves done in over a year!!

9. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Scl is being scl, but her point is that a break and a fracture are the same thing. What is commonly known as a break is medically referred to as a complete fracture, depending on presentation.

Squirt!!, NBChoice, harli36 and 2 others like this.
  10. OldGreyMare

In this case...no....one side had the break, the OTHER SIDE, there was a fracture, and yes it can happen...that is what I meant. So there were two different things going on in this when it happened.