Wow-Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LoveTrail, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Which is why they took it down. She was a terrible example of a dressage rider in that video. The commentator in the second video was trying to be politically correct in his words about her previous ride.

She had been showing the horse already for nine months. Don't know when she purchased the horse.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Trubandloki and mooselady like this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

A horse being strong or not is a matter of how the horse is trained. If you ride with a light hand and insist that the horse reacts to light, subtle aids you will not get a horse that needs physical force to control it. A horse like that might get hotter than you can handle, but not "strong" as in needs physical intervention (tons of hand and/or leg or an authoritarian rider) to control.

Of course if you have a well trained horse and irritate it with bad seat,hanging in it's face and overall unclear aids, depending on the temperament of the horse, the horse will express that it's ticked off by this.

3. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

I do not know this rider but what I saw (and I watched the video of the second day more than once) was a rider taking her frustrations out on their horse. I have no idea if the horse was being too strong (did not look it to me, but I am not on it), but in the end that still does not make it OK to be that aggressive with the whip and spurs. Not making any comment on the seat of an ammy on a huge moving horse... I am just talking about the actions of the ammy.
    What was most telling was the amount of jerking done to the horse's face after the ride was done and they were turning around in the ring.
    This rider was inappropriate during this ride. Taking their dressage whip into one hand and reaching back to smack, almost starfishing with the kicks that included the spurs.... Just not appropriate.

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Plus if it is getting strong you don't start whipping, jerking and spurring it. That just makes it worse as his kick outs proved in both rides.

Alsosusieq2 and CabterCrazy like this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If a person was to participate in one of the many Dressage Horse Breeders Groups, or read the USDF magazines...they would notice that one of the big topics is that the horses have been so big, so strong with so much movement that the average person can no longer physically sit them...they get tossed around like a rag doll. There is a lot of discussion about breeding horses that are more armature friendly. People like myself are crossing the Arabian or Welsh Ponies to produce armature horses.

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

In this person's case I think she wants to compete at the higher levels. Wouldn't be surprised given this horse's previous record she paid in several six figures.

Looked at couple of her previous horses they aren't as big of movers.

Her previous horse with the current owner.

[video]

kodemiester likes this.
  7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Erm, why would an amateur buy a horse he or she can't sit well? I mean, there are enough on the market that are well suited for any amateur who is willing to put some effort into learning how to sit properly.

It's well known that warmblood horses, and especially ones with good movement quality very often require practice to sit well. If that's something you can not do (you may have legitimate reasons why, back problems for example or you are getting older), maybe an Iberian horse is the better choice. They don't have so much movement through the back.

On the other hand, professionals training horses to be so hot and electric that you need skill to keep them under control, that's a totally different business, that professionals ride and train with show titles in mind, not so much with the intention to produce a generally user friendly horse that any reasonably good rider can handle wiithout trouble. That's may very well not be the case if you buy a horse that has beein in the sport for years only under a professional.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Dang.....I can't watch the first vid.

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I just watched the 2nd ride.....on the red horse and is the one I think people are talking about. Two words....HOLY SLOPPY.

10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Relaxation is the one of the principle foundations of dressage without this foundation you cannot move up the levels. No classical trainer is wanting or teaching a horse to be “HOT”. They want the horse to be to be forward thinking, conditioned and physically fit, and have the endurance to maintain the tempo and properly execute the movements.

Many Amateurs see a fancy big moving horses that are doing well in the ring and hope to aspire to their GP dreams and buy them, not understanding that they themselves its helpful for the rider to have a specific athletic build and the rider may need to ride for several hours a day to for their own body to have the core strength needed to ride at this level. It can become a very frustrating experience for both horse and owner. What is sad is they can reach the GP level and be extremely competitive as an amateur on a more conservative horse, because quality of movement is only one of the many factors in the score sheets.

Serenity06 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.