Wow-Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LoveTrail, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I once attempted to ride my coach's upper level FEI horse. It was impossible to even get a proper walk.

I didn't get to see the video, but I feel for her.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I'm glad you had that experience. It seems to have taught you something very important.

It didn't go well, but like I said, these horses are often very, very tough rides. 'The Honeymoon's Over' is a very painful and common phenomenon when a person buys a well-trained horse.

It's not really that the rider is doing anything wrong (oh he may do some desperate things trying to respond to what's going on...), he just is overwhelmed.

It isn't necessarily always from buying an international Grand Prix horse, either. Any very athletic horse at any level can be a huge and painful adjustment for a rider.

I have seen people in this sort of pickle over and over and over and over. This is no news to me.

In general, I attempted to not take any 'giant steps,' LOL, well it wasn't really all that intentional, LOL, I plainly could never afford a horse like this. But even at that, my Tristan was a huge adjustment after my pony, and my warmblood was a huge adjustment after Tristan, and my mare warmblood was a whole different world from my previous warmblood.

The myth, the fantasy(and often the...cruel joke...LOL), is that a highly trained GP dressage horse is 'a dream' to ride and everyone should look perfect every moment they are on such a horse, because Diderick Van Silfhout looks great on the horse.

Yes, the video of one of the top riders in the world was posted and held up as a comparison. "Look how well this guy rides! Why doesn't SHE ride like that????? HE CAN! Why can't SHE?"

And generally the peanut gallery's answer is that the rider is a - bad person. Not trying hard enough. Not getting enough lessons. Take up a different hobby - like knitting.

I saw that and LMAO. Lordy lordy lordy.

And it's not a matter of 'dropping down to a lower level.' The issues shown in that video are never, ever 'fixed' by 'dropping to a lower level.'

There's only one way through it and that is right through it. Pull up your socks and try again. If it was really so easy, everyone would be doing it, and...they're not.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Showed the other video to show what the horse was capable of.

Bummer the video was taken down on Facebook. But, I don't think you should be spurring, jerking, and whipping through your whole pattern. The rider never did training levels 1 or 2 at a sanctioned show, she went straight to 3 nearly 14 years ago. Not her first time having problems with her dressage test if you look at her history.

I did see some people when they found out where she trained at lets say weren't impressed with the place.

I think it got taken down, they still have other videos up as Moose showed where the rider obviously been told not to spur and whip the horse and to pet the horse at the end instead of jerk and spur, because that rider showed dressage in a very bad light. I can understand them doing that.

mooselady likes this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

14 years? Oh WOW, I thought this was a new comer....I am shocked

Acornicus likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I'm not convinced it was a case of a strong horse. Even so, this was an I2 test. The rider struggled to sit quiet. The other riders had blunders, the cute pony flew backwards at one point, but their tests were still coherent.

Trubandloki and mooselady like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Shelly Browning didn't do that.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

She's a newcomer to this horse. That's the thing. I don't think you understand how different horses are.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Didn’t do what? The clip that was taken down she was freely using her whip, and was rough with that horse.

Acornicus likes this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Oh all horses are exactly the same, dontcha know that:no:

Give a person some credit...looking at her scores she has had some decent tests with him, the one shown was not one of them, why should we pretend it was anything else than bad?

GotaDunQH and Trubandloki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.