Wow-Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by LoveTrail, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

What a nice horse, but couldn't watch the whole test...

Acornicus and Trubandloki like this.
  3. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

The announcer said it best... “I don’t have much nice to say about this ride, so I’m not going to say much at all.”

I bet the pommel of her saddle is worn out. She did more pelvic thrusting than Michael Jackson.

4. Sam C.

Sam C. Senior Member

I watched part of it this morning...horse really tried to do what she asked, and was very tolerant. I just watched it again with sound, and the commentator was spot on--that horse deserves sainthood.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why a rider of that skill level is on a horse that talented and well-trained?

Serenity06, Acornicus and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Yikes. I feel like that is what *I* would look like, trying to do that. WHICH IS WHY I DON'T.

Acornicus and wpgrider like this.
  6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

How about that buckskin pony afterwards? So cute!

Trubandloki and Dona Worry like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

The first video is not available for viewing. So I can't see what horrors you're talking about.

It sounds like you're saying it is the same horse with a different rider.

Van Silfhout is one of the top riders in the world. The horse is very nice -

Re the new rider - come on people. She's doing the best she can. It's a big adjustment. I'm sure she's having a wonderful time learning from this fantastic horse.

Oh, I just realized I saw this rider on this horse in a feed from the Delmar show.

And...people, seriously, come on. It's a big strong horse and is kinda overpowering her and she's overwhelmed. She's doing the best she can. The rider before her got a 62.

But this is often what happens when people buy an older schoolmaster horse. The horse gets really strong and overwhelms the rider.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She looks frustrated and ready to cry. Horse looks madder than a wet hen. She was disqualified for inappropriate use of the whip.
    Buckskin pony is adorable, I watched a few people ride. I like watching dressage, although not quite as much as jumping.

Friesiangirl and ChestersMomma like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You needed to see it....If there is a trainer they should be shot, if they don't have a trainer, they NEED one.

This rider needs to be having fun at training level, not using their whip to try and get moves that the horse would do if asked even half decently. This was BAD.

Serenity06 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

I watched it with the live feed. She had a really bad day, it's a very big strong horse and she was just overwhelmed.

You'd be bawling your eyes out if people said to you what you said about her. Just because she has a nice horse and rides in a show in California doesn't make it ok to fly into her when she's having a bad day.

The horse was getting very strong with her. This is very often what happens when a person gets a really well schooled horse. It is a huge adjustment and also many of these really seasoned competition horses don't exactly cut you a lot of breaks.

And she has in fact scored better than this on this same horse, so I don't know that it always goes as bad as this.

But in fact, just about anyone who's ridden for a while has had tests like this. It happens. It doesn't mean she's Satan. In fact she's ridden for years and has done fairly well with several other horses.

Often what happens when a person gets a horse like this - a really big strong horse, big mover, really well schooled, is things go to hail in a bucket. I mean I bet you all think that's just so easy to deal with a 'really well trained dressage horse'? Well, it's not. In fact, most of the time, it's hail on wheels.

In fact, what usually happens with the really well schooled horse is for a few shows, things don't go too bad, and then it falls apart. Badly.

It's called 'The Honeymoon's Over, Baby' and it's a very painful thing to go through.

Basically, some riders will be able to handle such a big strong horse if they get some help and some time to work it out, some will sell the horse on (he can probably go back to Diederick if she wants to) and downgrade, and - well - a lot of people quit.

And you have to be sooooooo strong to ride a horse like this. It's very hard to do that. You have to have a very, very strong back and middle body - hips, lower back, to be able to get them to come up and carry. It's kind of like driving a jet fighter plane, vs driving a little put put car at the fair grounds.

And the problem is he may only get really strong like this at shows. She may have a very different horse to ride at home.

Too, a lot of these older horses are really strong. That's something one of the top FEI dressage trainers in the US told me about buying horses in Europe - 'I'm a grown man with 50 years of training GP horses and I can't ride a lot of these horses, they're just too strong in the bridle.'

There is a lot of debate about why. They just get real smart after years of riding? Too many rides in a double bridle?* Or is it just about the rider learning to get the horse up in the bridle? Just a refinement of the individual's aids, instruction. Everyone has their own opinion.

So what to do? Well, a lot of them can be reschooled, some of them just aren't ever going to be ideal. Sometimes it's just really weird little stuff - changes to the warmup, a little bit different caveson, an adjustment of the bridle...

MOST people, however, they fight their way out of 'the honeymoon's over.' It just takes time and lots of hard work and a lot of tears - and of course, there are the obligatory rail birds telling you you're the devil, lol.

But just about anyone you'll ever meet who's been in dressage for a while will have had this same thing happen to him or her as well. It's a hard, hard thing to go through. She has my sympathies, so does the horse.

*In a perfect world, the Grand Prix horse gets ridden in the double bridle once a week(1 out of 6 or 7 rides).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.