Would you buy this gelding?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Fayewolf, Mar 18, 2017.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I hear you on the part where you said you would hate to think your trainer is dishonest. Unfortunately there are MANY dishonest people in the horse world. Not saying your trainer is, or had bad intentions, but I have learned to be cautious over the years. You will have to learn to trust your instincts and face the facts when something doesn't sound right. (Which it sounds like you knew all along something wasn't right, so good for you.)

ginster likes this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This is very true, but then there is also the question of what you want to do, what is it you want of the horse you are buying? I am in a different area, and prices vary greatly, I know that, but $10,000 for a 2'- 2'6" jumper with issues sounds like a heck of a price.

If you give your rough area and what you are looking for all the avid shoppers here will very quickly give you a list, then you can make a decision on what sort of horse is worth.

ginster likes this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Good you decided. Sometimes people can be somewhat disappointing when it comes to money being involved. As for awkwardness, this too shall pass.

4. Fayewolf

Fayewolf Full Member

agree. i felt like i've dodged a bullet here.

Macimage, GONE ROPING and mooselady like this.
  5. Thelittlebaymare

Thelittlebaymare Registered

I'd pass and walk away, no run away. It seems too good to be true about how their lameness is going along plus you can find a lot of sound horses for cheaper prices maybe not up front but in the long run. Better safe than sorry.

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

No
    Horse has soundness problems and a medical history to show it.

My boss took a Clydesdale on a trial pending Ppe. He was here for less then 30days and was off at the trot on the lunge line.
    Ppe showed knee problems and oddities in the hoof. Sent the horse back.
    Owner was very unprofessional and was demanding money. When he said no she pulled the silent treatment.

7. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

Definitely pass. If you plan on outgrowing him, you need to be able to sell him. In a few years from now, his already expensive shoeing needs may expand into other needs to keep him sound, and he will be that much more difficult to sell. Assuming he's even rideable by then, then it's even worse.

8. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

You can be the adult and walk up to your trainer thanking her for her time and effort.And leave it at that.That should take care of the awkwardness.
    Be honest,if she's being rude that's her problem.
    Best of luck

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Here's some decent business advice - never use anyone as an advocate for you that is representing a seller in any sales transaction you undertake. Seriously. Your trainer isn't working in your best interest if she's working with the seller. It'd be nearly akin to going through a divorce and using their attorney also to protect you.

I'd honestly attempt to get help in your search apart from your trainer, but that's me. She wasn't doing anything illegal, but it's not ethical. There's a huge grapevine of people here that are knowledgeable of sellers and horses that are unbiased. They'd at least be able to give you a heads up on a potential purchase.

Don't feel bad or uncomfortable. If anything, your trainer should for trying to double dip.. but I'm sure it doesn't bother her in the least.;)

Yes, you dodged a bullet. More like a S.A.M. unless you are a trust fund baby with deep pockets. Count your blessings and deep breaths, begin again but with your eyes open. The horse biz is "buyer beware" for certain.

10. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. The trainer is personally acquainted with both you, the owner, and the horse, correct?

In that case, the trainer probably genuinely likes the owner, and wants to help them out.

The trainer probably genuinely likes the horse, and wants it to land in a good home.

The trainer probably likes YOU, knows you'd provide a good home, and because of that, he wants you to like the horse. That's why he gave you the "optimistic" version of the horse's outlook. Not to be dishonest, but because he has too many attachments to the situation.