Would you buy this gelding?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Fayewolf, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Fayewolf

Fayewolf Full Member

Lovely boy, super handsome, and seems to be sound with current owner. Will be a few years before I outgrow him. He is currently being sold by his owner that belongs to the same barn where I ride.
    Owner gave a brief history of him, he's had some lameness issues in the past but with corrective (expensive) shoeing, he has been sound for the past year. (He has been on and off lame with coffin joint injections for a few years and recently sound without any maintenance. Currently owner works him 5 days a week jumping 2"-2"6 (what I intend to do).

PPE done- flexed 1-2 on most, and a 3 on hard ground. Also 1-2 under saddle (owner said he's sound) but vet noted 1-2. Xray showed mild arthritis and bone remodeling of navicular. Vet thinks that he will be fine with maintenance (legend or such) and corrective shoes.

Being a first time buyer, this seems like a bit of a risk to me and a lot of $ for maintenance. Pass?

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Don't walk away...RUN!

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Don't buy trouble, lots of nice sound horses out there

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

And even then some sound ones are trouble! :rofl:

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well there is that, even more reason to try and start with a clean slate

BroadaxJuniorMint likes this.
  6. Fayewolf

Fayewolf Full Member

I feel horrible because I should've considered this before I scheduled the PPE, but after reading the history on the record which owner released to me, it was a lot to stomach.
    Should I worry that the owner think that I am wasting their time since I already know that he has been lame in the past (I didn't know she has been injected so many times before), and frankly, once it's all laid out to me, it was more than i can handle. First time buying so maybe this is not kosher, since scheduling PPE is like a commitment to buy?

7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about the seller, this outcome is exactly why people have a ppe.

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

But new information that cones out on PPE is a legitimate reason to pass on a sale.

9. Fayewolf

Fayewolf Full Member

I felt like he has navicular but they never said anything, "needs corrective shoes" to stay sound, and nobody likes to hear the N word :(

RelaxMax likes this.
  10. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

As a first time buyer, I'd pass unless your intuition tells you otherwise. If the horse is worth the work (and the risk), absolutely take him on.

Consider you may have issues selling in the future, though!

And don't worry about wasting the sellers time/hurting feelings. They'll be fine. I sold a horse with shivers over the summer and I had many prospective buyers express interest (even with knowledge and PPEs) and back out because they just couldn't commit to the upkeep. They understand, believe me, and if it's a good owner they'll ensure the buyer knows exactly what's up and can provide quality care.

BroadaxJuniorMint and Nu5ha like this.