1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Would you breed to an unshown stallion?

Discussion in 'Stallions' started by turnnburnlynx, Jun 5, 2016.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

So I'm starting the search to breed bailey again for a NRCHA or cutting baby. I have my eye set on a few stallions who are shown and have records, but there is one who has caught my eye who is unshown due to an injury. His name is Lil spoon for any who would like to look him up. I love peptoboomsmal horses...I mean I really love them, and he's a pretty nice looking horse.

Thoughts on an unshown stallion ?

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Lil spoon looks like an excellent horse. I'm waiting to see what his offspring accomplish before making a call on what I think of him.

I bred my mare to stud that was injured while showing. He didn't have a chance to really show because of it. But he's proven as sire. I actually own a daughter of his and while she's only three she is phenomenal. She's has siblings cutting, doing reined cow horse and some reining as well.

The stud I bred to this year was also injured. He earned over 17k in three shows. He's a diamond in the rough. An own son of high brow cat located on Northern BC. His babies are small, and slow to mature but are athletic and cowy. This year's breeding is intended to be my keeper. I'm hoping for a filly.

An unshown stallion doesn't scared me. His offspring tell me what he throws. Show record is only part of my criteria when looking for a prospective stallion. Conformation, breeding, and offspring on the ground are more important in my opinion. What I do look for is soundness of his offspring. Is it genetic? Conformational? Or simple injury.

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

This right here for me. I DO like it if the stud himself has had success in the show pen, but if an injury stops that, then the offspring (IMHO) should have a show record. I wouldn't breed to an unknown stud with no get on the ground to prove his worth.

4. turnnburnlynx

Thank you both for your reply. I agree as well, and I do like that you both agree on waiting to see what his offspring are like.

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I like a stallion who has earnings, which to me proves HE can cut/jump/rein, not just his sire or dam.

That said, I own two horses whose dams have no earnings. One I knew could perform, the other, we'll see. ;)

Curious, which stallions are you looking at? (Other than lil spoon)

GotaDunQH likes this.
  6. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

Yes, I did. I liked the (Arab) stallion's conformation, lineage, and temperament. Not his fault he couldn't show due to getting a bacterial infection as a 4 year old, I went and interacted with him and his temperament was outstanding. My mare has already proven herself in performance and they complemented each other, so far the resulting filly is everything I wanted. She should be quite an athlete. :D

Streak and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

If he has the looks, lines and temperament you want, 'who cares' is he didnt see a ring much or ever? Performance on a racetrack might have some weight, whether a horse came off hurt or just slow.
    Friends of mine had an Al-Marah lines arab stallion. He never showed Arab circuit, just local games. But he still had spectacular throws, and was the best horse they ever owned. Not a single ROM point to his name. And worth 5 digits 'on papers alone' as a cranky greebroke lil snot when they got him and called AM/ the breeder to see if he was worth the $500 theyd paid. Points and ribbons are tangible, but not the only measure of worth breeding/ to or not. The other things are Objective considerations.

Sarai and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. turnnburnlynx

Because I'm looking to start up a breeding program for reined cow horses, I've been mainly looking at proven sires in the ring and his offspring. A few stallions I'm looking at for next year are
    Rey Dual (again, ghost is just such a nice filly I wouldn't mind rebreeding)
    High brow cougar
    Cat ichi
    And Lil spoon

If I don't breed next year I'm either looking at
    Metallic cat or one time pepto for a 2019 foal.
    I plan on getting a second mare next year for breeding, I'm going to pick up a mare who has shown and has the bloodlines I like

9. RhinestoneZAF

RhinestoneZAF Full Member

Metallic Cat :cheerleader:
    When I loped cutting horses in college, I would drool over him and Third Cutting. His owners are also super nice, not that that really matters. lol I've loped some pretty nice Cat Ichi horses too.

10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Would I breed to an unshown stallion? If he's bred right, yes.

There can be a lot of reasons why a horse has not got a show record. Take my own stallion. Bred to the hilt, and basically unshown. It's not his fault, it's mine. I ran out of money. Did he do well in his training? Oh heck yeah!
    His get are also proving themselves in the show pen. It is not unusual at all for sons and daughters of his to win their first outting.
    Would I rather my horse did have a record? Of course. But it just wasn't in the cards for me to go on.
    Does it make my horse less of a horse? Nope. Not at all. All it made was my wallet to have moths, instead of money. Pure and simple.