Would this work as temporary half pad

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Leigh_steph, May 10, 2018.

1. Leigh_steph

Leigh_steph Full Member

so I’m needing to get a half pad as my mares saddle is slightly too wide at the moment due to having no muscle after time off work, she gains it quickly though (woohoo ) but I don’t currently have a half pad or anyone to borrow one from and I want to keep riding but don’t want to ride with her saddle lifting slightly

So would this work temporarily to help until I get the half pad ? As I already have one B554248F-1313-42D2-A673-441DA247DEB9.png

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

It'll lift the saddle off your horses back but won't necessarily work as well as a half pad.

Where is your half pad? What kind is it? Are you able to buy a balance altering Alf pad so you can temporarily adjust the balance of your saddle?

I think half pads have a place but it's hard to make informed suggestions without seeing the horse.

Friesiangirl and mooselady like this.
  3. Leigh_steph

Leigh_steph Full Member

I do not have one yet I am looking at the LeMieux half pads though as I have been told they are very good,

My saddle is just lifting some at the back due to my mare having 7 months off work so now has no shoulder muscle but luckily she gains muscle fairly quick, I’ll insert a photo of what is happening (luckily I caught it on my first proper ride on her since bringing her into work again, my other rides were just walking about )

B7AB791A-FF03-4D6C-8781-610A303E351B.png

Attached Files:

4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

That's pretty substantial. I think my jaw actually dropped. I absolutely would not recommend a half pad in good conscience after seeing that photo.

That saddle needs more changes than a half pad will give you.

Sorry.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

As a saddle fitter I 100% agree with Hamerface. That is not solvable with a half pad, or any kind of padding.

VermilionStrife and waresbear like this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

To pad that saddle enough to make it kind of work you'd be perched on top of a mountain of pads. Better to look for a saddle that fits better.

waresbear likes this.