Worst saddle buying experience ever

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Sabn, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

I bought a used antares monoflap saddle from a girl on Facebook. Part of it was supposed to be a Christmas present from my mom. I sent the money and it cleared on my end within 3 business days. That was 2 weeks ago. They don't want to ship the saddle until the payment clears which is understandable. PayPal is holding the payment until they provide shipping info. They wanted me to "confirm receipt" the payment so that it will transfer to them in 3 days. If I do that I waive my protection and claim that I have received the saddle, it is in as described condition, and waive the right to file a claim. I explained that to them and said that there was no way that I was doing that. I contacted PayPal and they said that the payment is being held as part of my payment protection until they ship. Now they want to send a "trial package" where they would tell PayPal that they are shipping my saddle and give the tracking info so that the payment will clear. Then they'll ship the saddle later. That sounds so sketchy. I told them no, and that they could get in big trouble with PayPal for that. I sent them a screenshot of my PayPal statement that shows quite clearly that my payment transferred from my bank account to PayPal and then from PayPal to her. I also told them that I could send them a bank statement to further prove that my money had been sent. So now the actual owner of the saddle is going to call me tomorrow and hopefully they will finally ship after that. If not then I am done with this whole thing. I would rather get my money back and save a little bit more for a saddle from a reputable consignment shop which allows a trial.
    Update I spoke with the owner of the saddle today and she apparently was not told any part of what was going on. So I explained that I gave her friend proof that my money has been transferred. I also told her that I contacted PayPal directly and they said that the payment is being held until shipment info is received. So she said that she would tell her friend to get the saddle shipped. I confirmed with the friend that I bought the saddle from and she said that she will ship it now. So I guess I will see if it actually comes, or if I need to file a PayPal claim.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd be running in the opposite direction screaming and waving my arms.

My worse saddle buying experience was paying an absolute landfill-sized amount of money for the latest saddle and noticing that HEY! That doesn't fit my horse. I can tell because it's resting a few inches behind his ears.

Tragic.

mygirl1197 likes this.
  3. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Yikes, good luck!

If this falls through, whatever you do, don't custom order a saddle directly from Antares. They refused to follow the terms on the signed contract when the saddle arrived and didn't fit because they had "changed their policies." They totally failed to grasp the concept that the whole point of a contract is that the specified terms apply to the deal even if they change policies between taking payment and delivering a saddle.

4. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

I don't want to pay for a brand new saddle. This saddle is costing more than I paid for my pony many years ago. I'm okay with cleaning and oiling a used one to make it look nice. I actually really enjoy cleaning used but new to me tack. The only reasons that I haven't walked away from this yet are that I am getting a really good deal on this saddle ( which means I can put my gelding in a full month of training too), and the payment is already marked as completed on my end. So even though it hasn't transferred yet I would have to file a claim through PayPal to get my money back. If I receive an empty box though I will be mad and report them as frauds.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ make sure the tree is sound and everything is straight an even.

Things just DO NOT sound right......

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Get your money back and cancel the transaction. Period end of story. And lodge a complaint with PayPal complete with screenshots of the emails requesting you violate their policies.

7. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

I agree with BluemoonOKy. Too many red flags, and way too many requests for you to do something illegal. There will always be another saddle for sale.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. Full stop.

Charliemyheart, Arem and ginster like this.
  9. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

She sent me a screenshot of her PayPal to show me when it was pending. So I have a list of some people that bought saddles from her around the same time that I did. I'm contacting some of them to see if they actually received their saddles. She is assuring me that the saddle will ship on Saturday. So I have until then to hear back from some of those people.

10. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Please please please make sure the panels are straight on this saddle before you agree to keep it.

I have seen quite a few crooked an asymmetrical saddles by this maker I'd be very hesitant to by used. You could PM me photos of it if you wanted in case you were having second thoughts.

This whole thing seems fishy unfortunately.