Worst hospital or injury -

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

I was in a car accident January 2018. Not an experience I plan to repeat. I broke multiple vertebrae some of which they found 6 weeks later. I reacted badly to most of the medication. The trauma room I was in was poorly staffed. Multiple times I was throwing up and on my back and nobody would come up help me. I got yelled at for flipping myself over. They didn't take the glass out of my scalp for 3 days. I spent a lot of hours in hallways. Oh and they walked me out of the accident.

2. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I broke my leg when I was 16. Spiral tibia and fibula fractures knee to ankle and a shattered ankle. Compartment syndrome. Rad tech assumed a sprained ankle and initial xrays had me near vomiting in pain bc she was rough. First surgery went okay. Second surgery was when they put in the external fixator after the swelling went down some.

I woke up wen they were extubating me. I was frozen and absolutely terrified and disoriented. Lots and lots of pain. Kept trying to ask the nurse for my mom but she didn’t notice my whispers at first. Finally she noticed my eyes were open and asked if I wanted some water. She heard me squeak “yes and my mom”. She LAUGHED and said not until you’re recovered and we have your pain under control. I asked again and again and the nurses dismissed me. I was shaking with fear and started glancing around. I get like i couldn’t move my head, just my eyes. I could see a door next to a windowed desk and guessed that was the waiting room. Waited till my nurse was out of site and started punching the bed rail with my arm that I barely had control of. There was an IV in my hand so I was able to make a fair amount of racket that way. I was sort of squeaking/squealing “maaahhmm” and before the nurse could run over I hear my mom at the desk saying “Is that my daughter? let me back there now!” and she came bursting through the door.

She was HOT that they were denying my requests to have her with me. For all four surgeries I had extreme emotional reaction to sedation. That surgery was the longest and the worst. I will never forget how scared, cold, and alone I felt coming out of anesthesia fog alone. No child should have to...

3. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Ugh. SO's mom was in the hospital this last April with several issues. SO had PoA... financial and medical. He had constantly discussed with his mom what was and wasn't acceptable and he wouldn't dare do anything that was against her wishes. Well, while we were on the road getting down to IL, someone had her sign a DNT. Problem was that she was oxygen deprived and hopped up on God knows what, we all had doubts that she knew and understood what she was signing. Anyway, we get down to IL and the Drs were discussing having a procedure done that required intubation. It was reasonable and within what his mom would be fine with. SO okayed it... but ... a nurse decided to get too big for her britches flapping around with the DNR and threatening to call security and having people thrown out. Unfortunately for her, SO had the paperwork, the family attorney in his phone contacts, and because he used to work there on the administrative side, he knew people to get this broad out of the way.

Unfortunately, you kind of need someone to be a jerk for you with some places. That's why people hire doulas

waresbear and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

It makes me sad reading these stories. The hospital is a scary enough place as is. People dont need crappy health care staff to add to the stress too. :(

waresbear, reicheru and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

What are doulas?

6. Alsosusieq2

Yeah, it is. Nurses work their behinds off I know. Bad ones, idk how they get through. Everyone has bad days though tbh.

I had a situation when I went to a rehab center after surgery and they were not good. The whole place isn't IMO. I need to write a review as I checked after coming home and their comment line was horrid on them.

I did something in my sleep one night at 2am, I really don't know what as I was asleep, but under my rib cage all the way around to my back it was spasms. This was after open heart surgery and the opening of your chest cavity left me in incredible pain from probably my fibro and the tearing of your soft tissue, fascia. I think I tore something as it took six weeks to stop hurting. Anyway, I called for the nurse and asked for pain meds. No one returned. I called repeatedly till finally at 6 am someone responded. I'd laid there trying to not move the entire time it hurt so bad. They acted like I was overreacting, but I told them I called at 2am. Nuts. Terrible place.

I also think they were stealing meds overnight. Not kidding, it happened strictly on the overnight shift when patients are tired. I was on hydrocodone and occasionally tramadol. Overnight I'd ask for my pain meds, the hydrocodone.. and they'd bring tramadol. I know what the pills look like, they were not hydrocodone. I said what is this..oh its hydrocodone. No, it wasn't. Since it's a thousand times easier to get a script for tramadol, I think some of the nurses take the order for hydrocodone.. skim it and sub in tramadol that they have. You could literally skim a months worth in a week doing that over a few patients. Sounds nuts, but you'd have to have been there to see the place.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

They're basically there in the delivery room and advocate for the mother so she doesn't have to worry about cracking some skulls while in labor.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Ahh..ok. Never heard of this.