Worst hospital or injury -

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Oct 10, 2018.

1. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

I had an ACL, minor surgery or so I thought. I walked into the operating room and got up on the table myself, it was day surgery so I thought wash, no big deal. When I woke up, it felt like somebody had hit me in the leg with a burning 2X4! They were pretty stingy with the painkillers, I almost felt like they thought I was going to get addicted to Oxycontin, as if! They gave me some T3's, those upset my stomach so I didn't even bother taking them. I was in pain for pretty much 3 days. Glad I had the surgery now because my knee is stronger than ever, however that was painful. But, certainly not life-threatening, so no big deal, pain is gone now and everything is good.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I had some kind of mysterious infection back in the 80's. My back hurt under the left shoulder blade, then it went to the right too and it hurt so bad I couldn't lean back on anything, so I drove to the hospital.

I was cold. They put me in a bed in the emergency room and I kept asking for a blanket and just kept getting ignored. Finally I got tick't and told zhe nurse I was going to get my own blanket. She said: “Blanket~!? You have 104.4 fever. 1/5 degree more and we're packing you in ice.“

So, they determined I was going up stairs and getting a bed. As they wheeled me left, right left, I see this light. It was dark and this light was like adull emergency power light, like you see over exit doors.
    Funny thing, it stayed right in front of me, no matter if I was in the elevazor, or turned this way or that.

So I get in a bed, private room, all hooked up to stuff, close my eyes, light is still there. As I tried to sleep, the light got larger and larger. Not a hurtful light and was there eyes closed or open.

It got so big it was all I could see. Like a tunnel wizh slowly spiralling walls of light. Then I hear a voice. Sounds like I should know the voice but can't place it. It said: No, it's not her time.“

Then the light slowly got smaller and less bright until it faded away.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

*shiver

You were close. I almost died a few years ago from a very bad infection and got so weak. It was peaceful. I'm not scared of dying at all afterwards. I'm scared of pain mind you, just not dying. Yeah, I do believe in an afterlife.

bobo and horses and manesntails like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

They told me that had I not come to the hospital when I did, I had just a few more hours to live.
    They never did figure it out though, I was bleeding into my chest cavity but none of my organs were damaged.
    Weird.

bobo and horses and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Isn't that bizarre and a little scary. They're not wizards and when I watch House I wish there really were docs out there like him, but..

bobo and horses and manesntails like this.
  6. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

Freaky!

7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

You're not kidding..... the billing dept's are horrid. And I work for a hospital lol

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Pain management and sedation is routine for people waking up in this condition.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I had surgery on some really bad uterine tumors that were bleeding. Before I went in the gynecologist initially said she wanted to give me lupron. After the scint came back, she said it looked like very extensive cancer and was already in my bones. No point in chemotherapy.

I went to a surgeon who had a really good reputation. He was an amazing guy. A really good cutter. My nurse friend gave him the highest praise i ever heard her utter - 'he's a good pair of hands.'

Turns out lupron probably would have killed me.

It was an emergency in that they prepped me up in a day rather than scheduling it for later. I was so dehydrated and had lost so much blood they could not get an accurate hematocrit reading. Tumors were so bad - tangled around everything, and one was 13 centimeters long, doc had to do a lot of cutting. I was opened up for a long, long time. I was supposed to wake up after 2 hours. I woke up about 9 hours later than they told me I would, and I had NO interest in waking up even then, it seemed like it was too hard and way too much effort. People were slapping me and yelling at me to wake up.

Doc came up and yelled at me over and over, before i was awake, 'NO CANCER' so I woke up very relaxed and at ease, but I didn't remember him saying that til much later.

He also came to see me 5 days after the surgery, when I was starting to be more aware, and said, 'I was so scared for you.' You wouldn't have known it to look at him or talk to him. He was very upbeat.

I couldn't feel or control my left leg when I got more aware. I couldn't walk, I had to hang onto something and drag my leg along. I was in the hospital for a week. I was on a morphine pump and spiked an infection. It was rough.

After 3 weeks of trying to walk around the leg started working. I was riding at 5 weeks and back in full training in 6 weeks.

The bone scint that looked like I already had bone cancer?

I have a lot of really bad arthritis. LOL.

Alsosusieq2 and bobo and horses like this.
  10. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

Might as well share hubby's experience with a double lung transplant. He had been diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis two years prior, a fatal, autoimmune lung disease akin to arthritis except for the scarring attacks the lungs instead of the joints. The disease came on strong. In the final stages of his disease, he was lucky enough to get a transplant. I asked him what the most painful part of the operation was, he was 8 hours in surgery. He said it wasn't painful at all, he was awake about 5 hours after the operation but quite drugged-up and on a respirator. His ICU nurse said if it was up to him, he would be off the off the respirator as all his stats showed the lungs were working perfectly and all the heart damage done by lack of oxygen was returning to normal rapidly. The next day after surgery, he was off the respirator and sitting up in a chair. Second day after surgery he was walking around without oxygen, slowly but walking all on his own. He said the most painful part was having a catheter put in when he was airlifted to the larger hospital before transplant. He said he put up with the pain for about two hours while they were doing tests then he asked them to take it out and he would use a bedpan, they agreed and gave him a jug, lol. He figures the nurse put the catheter in wrong because the one he had just before surgery was not painful at all. So apparently, lung transplant surgery is not painful, who wudda thunk it?