Worst hospital or injury -

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Thinking of ML and immediately coming out of surgery today. What have you dealt with?

One that I don't think I'll be able to ever forget is waking up immediately after open heart surgery. You're so out of it you've no idea what's going on. I woke up and couldn't breath properly, I was literally choking as the tube was still down my throat. I kept panicking and struggling frantically and they tie your hands around your wrists so you can't rip the tube out. I've never been so terrified in my life. I felt like I was literally drowning and tied down to something under water. You can't think logically when panicking either and it took a bit before they got to me. I'm surprised I didn't snap my wrist trying to break free. Terrible nurse, she really was.

Then came the pain. Horrible experience-!!

2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

My surgeries are nothing compared to your experience, Susie. Hope you never have to experience that situation, ever again. You may have had Nurse Ratchet!

manesntails likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh man, she was actually mean tempered to me. As if I was putting her completely out and ruining her day getting me through recovery. I wasn't mean, I was scared and in pain. People like that should not be working in a hospital IMO. I've never dealt with a nurse like that.

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Humm... Colon cancer surgery.... I woke up and it was "****,now I gotta do this all over again!" Woke up a bit more "****,still me."

5. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

I was assualted by my obgyn at the birth of my daughter. He lied on my medical records to make it look like no trace of this ever happened. He did all of this to get out of the delivery room 5 mins faster. The nurses took part and knew what was happening was wrong. He is the head of obstetrics at the only hospital delivering in town. Needless to say that pursuing this legally didn’t work for various reasons, not because a crime wasn’t committed but because it would be too hard to prove in my state and the DA had no time and because the assault didn’t cause me financial harm. I got ptsd from the situation and had to pursue invasive medical tests to ensure I wasn’t permanently injured. Needless to say I had my next child at home....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Binca, Baboo, bobo and horses and 3 others like this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I had no idea that there are some health care givers who quite possibly belong in another job. My experience has been the complete opposite. I also know that most probably are kind and supportive. I am one of the lucky ones who has always encountered compassionate ones,

These stories are awful.

My horror stories all involve the billing department.

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

While i was having my c-section, i was under anesthesia, but could still feel the cutting and smelled the burning. I told the anesthesiologist and he told me if he gave me anymore, I'd be asleep. After the took me to the recovery room, i woke up, was all alone (family had went to go see the baby and let me sleep) and was hurting so bad. I could reach the nurse call button on the rail but it wasn't hooked into the wall and i couldn't reach the call light on the cord, but i imagine if i could have, it wouldn't have been connected into the wall either. I could barely bear to talk due to pain and kept whispering "help" when i saw shadows walk by. It was a good thirty minutes before anyone came in to help me. I always said i should have sued for negligence.

8. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oh my. These are awful stories. I agree some people should not be in the medical field. Luckily I have not encountered too many of those people. The people I have worked with that were less than stellar were asked to resign, or be fired in most cases.

Thankfully I have really never been hurt or had to have surgery. The most I've had to go through is having my impacted wisdom teeth removed. The recovery was horrid and incredibly painful, but nothing compared to what you all are describing.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I really can't begin to imagine these experiences and I'm so glad all of you are here to tell the tale! I wish I could give you all a hug!

I've never had a bad experience with a surgery, for which I am SO thankful. The only really scary experience I had was after the birth of my first. I'd gone to the hospital at 5:30, had her at 9:00, everything was a breeze and I was in the recovery room....

.... and the next thing I knew I was waking up and there were literally splashes of blood on the walls. I had begun to hemorrhage and had passed out. I was passing huge clots and the blood was apparently gushing. I didn't know a thing about it until i woke up and saw that. Not painful but pretty scary at 19.

10. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

When I broke my hip when I was 16 from a horse fall, the radiology nurses wheeled me into the cray room, and told me to walk over to the table, when I told them Icouldn't, they laughed and said " yea sure!" And grabbed me by the arms and basically dragged me to the table. I was crying and momentarily blacking out, well it turned out my hip was broke, and the arm they dragged me by - that shoulder and collar bone was also broken.

I can say I didnt press charges, because, I was 16, by myself at the hospital (my riding instructor was with me but they didnt tell her anything until my parents arrived) and once i told my parents I was so drugged up, the nurses declined it