Featured Worried about Horse laying down...What are sicknesses associated with laying down?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rustybabyboy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Rustybabyboy

Rustybabyboy Registered

My 6 year old mare is laying down tonight she is a bit sluggish acting, but she is eating grass while laying down? Is this bad, should I be worried?:help!:

2. Rustybabyboy

Rustybabyboy Registered

plz

Plz somebody re[ly i m gettin really worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

She might be just tired, being lazy? Usually if they're eating it's a good sign they are feeling ok. Has she just been like this for a little bit or has she been like this for a long time? I would think if she's been laying like that for over a couple of hours that might not be normal. I've seen my colt lay for hours though taking naps. My older mares don't lay down as much, but they still enjoy their naps.

4. Rustybabyboy

Rustybabyboy Registered

She has been laying down for probably a couple of hours. I fed her some carrots earlier and rode her today and she was trying to clear her nose it seemed like??? Not sure what is going on... she got up when I went in to see her then later I went out and she was laying down eating grass.

5. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

Maybe she is tired from the ride? Have you taken her temperature? She might be laying down if she's got a fever, but I don't think she would want to eat if she was sick. Mine won't touch their feed if they aren't feeling ok.

6. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

A lot of horses eat while they are laying down - the piggies that is. If you're concerned, ask her to get up and watch her to see if she goes straight back down again. Nothing wrong with them laying down though, horses will only lay down when they feel totally safe within their environment.

7. Rustybabyboy

Rustybabyboy Registered

wellll i asked her to get up and she got up very slowly then went straigt down after she also lost all the perk that she has been having and she is colder then usual

8. Paintlover

Paintlover Banned

Lou Lou did this when she coliced. Have you checked her temp or vital signs?

9. SyntheticTrust

SyntheticTrust Banned

You do realize that horses sleep and rest right?

10. Top Dun

Top Dun Senior Member+

1. Horses laying down CAN be normal. They Can lay down for up to several hours at a time. Mine love to lay out in the sun on warm ground all spring and basically just sun bath. Mine also have been known to eat while laying down.

2. Laying down CAN be associated with colic IF there are other symptoms as well like Rolling, Sweating, kickign or pawing or bitting at the belly, Elevated pulse and respiration and many other signs.

3. Lying down CAN be the result of a leg or foot soreness or injury. Depends on how the horse moves AFTER you get them up.

4. Laying down CAN be the sings of a neruological problem like West Nile or one fo the many other infectious dieses. It depends on how the horse looks after getting up.

IF at anytime you feel there is something not quite right with your horse then call the vet or a knowledgeble horse person in you area that can actually go look at the horse. Forum members here can't SEE all the symptoms that may be present so they can only Guess as to what may be going on and then they could also be wrong. We can just offer suggestions, but If you are really worried, get off the forum and call the vet please.

sonnysstar and (deleted member) like this.