Worming Schedule? - See post #8

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Acantha, Mar 21, 2009.

1. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Please post scholarly information saying that cooper sulfate will prevent internal parasites. Sounds like a bunch of bogus to me.

Ryle likes this.
  2. Blonkey

Blonkey Registered

I know, but seriously, everyone that sees my horse comments on how good she looks. It sounds really bad but I actually don't think there is any scholarly information out there on this subject, but keep in mind that worming paste can actually kill. (a straight ivermectin every now and then is alright as ivermectin is natural). you can google "feeding copper sulphate to horses for worms" and find a lot of good information, also, if you can get hold of a book called "natural horse care" by Pat coleby it has a lot about it in there.

3. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Just because a horse "looks good" does not mean that they are worm free. Also, someone's opinion of a good looking horse is not always the next.

When I google it I get nothing but opinionated information. Which is useless in saying if it actually works or not.

4. Blonkey

Blonkey Registered

Sweet as. It's a pretty take it or leave it thing.

5. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

Health care really isn't a "take it or leave it" thing. Treatments should be based on reliable evidence of effectiveness and safety. I have seen horses that "looked good" and had high parasite loads. You can also find lots of sites on the internet saying that tobacco can be used to treat worms in horses, but it isn't true.

6. Blonkey

Blonkey Registered

7. Blonkey

Blonkey Registered

It sounds like people just need to open their minds more.

8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Many of us have very open minds and are always willing to learn new methods, new SCIENCE. Most of us though, want scientific evidence to prove effectiveness of treatment options being offered.

Doesn't mean we are close minded, just means we are not gullible or willing to risk the health of our equines on the latest fad or newest trend. Natural substances can kill just as easy as man-made substances.

9. Blonkey

Blonkey Registered

Agree to disagree.

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

What are we agreeing to disagree on? Your claim that copper sulfate is effective dewormer? That people who don't take your word for it are close-minded? That natural substances can kill as easily as man-made substances? That wanting scientific evidence of effectiveness is not worthwhile?

What?