Wormers That Are Safe for Pregnant Mares?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Canadian Sage, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage Senior Member+

So, I need to worm my mare for hte first time since she has been officially pregnant and want to make sure I don't use a wormer that could cause problems as I was told to be carefull what wormers I use on her.

I was wondering if Quest Plus Gel and Eqvalan (ivermectin) were ok? I have one of each here (of course she is only getting one, my QH is getting the other one) and was wondering which one is ok, or if both of htem are?

I ASKED the vets in town and they said, "I think eqvalan is ok for her":rolleyes: and i wanted a YES OR NO answer so I came to you guys!

2. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

We've used generic Ivermectin through out all our horses pregnancies. If in doubt, go to the Manufacturer's website and look at the label :)

3. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

Yep, just check the tube or box. Most will say they are okay for pregnant mares, if they don't expressly say it, I don't use them.

I think I have read somewhere to avoid having to worm in the first two months of pregnancy- though I might be dreaming that up. :rolleyez:

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Check the box. I think it's moxidectin that states "not tested on pregnant mares" or something like that.

5. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

Combo Care has not been tested so I would say NO don't give it but Quest NOT Plus but just Quest is safe and says so on box. I believe it's the tapewormer thats not safe but not 100% sure on that but the box will say.

6. missyclare

missyclare Full Member

This is what my vet told me....Don't worm them before 3 months or after 7 months, so you have a window inbetween to worm them and Ivermectin is the safest one out there. I followed this rule for 4 foals and never had any problems. Hope this helps.:)

7. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

Ivermectin products, Ivermectin/praziquantel products, pyrantel pastes, moxidectin and moxidectin/praziquantel (yes, it was tested safe...they just didn't recall all the boxes in circulation when they got the test finished) products are all safe in pregnant mares. So, really just about everything that is currently on the market has been evaluated as safe for use in pregnant mares. As stated before, just check the label.

As for when NOT to deworm, you don't want to give anything (vaccines, dewormer, other meds) during the first 45 days of pregnancy. After that, you can safely deworm throughout the rest of the pregnancy and mares should be maintained on a regular deworming program right up until they foal. Not deworming a pregnant mare for the last 4 months of pregnancy does nothing but allow a parasite burden to become established and allow for transfer of parasites to the newborn foal via the mares milk or via the mares feces as foals normally pick at their mother's feces when small. Pregnant mares should be dewormed with ivermectin or moxidectin about 1 week before foaling specificially to prevent parasite infection of the foal in those two ways.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

ComboCare -
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] So you're right, this particular product isn't tested and I wouldn't use it. Quest does indicate it's safe.

However, Equimax also says
    [/FONT]
    So it's not the praziquantel itself that is a problem.

Just to what you should always do to begin with - read the labels ;)

Zimecterin Gold says
    - doesn't mean it's safe or not safe, just that testing hasn't been done.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]