Working Equitation

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BluemoonOKy, Jul 13, 2018.

1. secuono

secuono Senior Member

We call that a fun day/obstacle day. Serious question, what is the difference?
    Is it that for fun days most people just plod around for desensitization and working equitation is more serious with specific tasks to accomplish involving the obstacles?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Working equitation is classical real dressage (not the new age crap dressage) with obstacles. In a real working a equitation event, there are 3 phases. Dressage phase, ease of handling and speed phase.

3. BluemoonOKy

Blue-Roan, Loona and Larkspade like this.
  4. BluemoonOKy

We went to a WE clinic yesterday. Here is a pic of Bluebirdy and I 0721181137a.jpg

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I didn't see your previous post and can't figure out how to fix this reply, I hope it comes through now.

I believe your previous post answered my question, it is the genre I was thinking of.

"New age crap dressage". They're different animals with similar elements.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

There are specific obstacles, figures, changes of gait. There is a lot of practice in the basics of shortening, lengthening stride and change of amount of collection (collection being length of stride, shape of stride - more upward stride).

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

It's like trail class on steroids!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  8. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

I do working eq and I think it’s amazing. It’s a great mix of dressage principles and fun. Basically there’s three phases:
    Dressage - pretty self explanatory
    Ease of handling - you ride a specific pattern through the obstacles, and you’re judged on things like symmetry, correct flexion, rhythm, evenness of circles, engagement, etc (basically you’re judged on dressage principles)
    Speed round - same course, just do it as fast and as clean as you can, penalties or disqualifications for knocking over obstacles (once I got disqualified when the garrocha bounced out of the barrel and I didn’t get off to put it back -_- )

And sometimes there’s a fourth phase, a cattle working phase, but most places don’t do that one because it’s not always easy to find cattle to use and they’re not set up for it

Watching Pedro Torres’ videos never fails to amaze me, he’s a great horseman and his horse is amazing

It is not the same thing as a trail class, extreme cowboy, etc. There are a set number of obstacles that can be used (I think it’s like 20 or so but I’m not sure?). Such as a pole weave, L back-through, sidepass over poles, a gate, spearing a ring with a garrocha, a small jump, three barrels, etc. The obstacles are not scary, there’s no pool noodles or tarps or any of that. The goal in working eq isn’t desensitization to scary things, or to come up with the craziest scariest obstacles. It’s about how you execute the obstacles.

Alsosusieq2 and luckydragon like this.
  9. luckydragon

luckydragon Senior Member

I've started doing working equitation with my 4 year old, TB/Andalusian gelding, Victor. Last weekend we had a clinic and had about 15+ obstacles. We have as many at our house also. There is a very good handbook for the Ease of Handling phase. You can also find information on the basic set up of each obstacle online.

Here are some pictures from the clinic. I have some of a couple other horses I rode also that I will post later.

Warm-up before our course (2nd day we set up a course to ride like a show).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pitcher, working on immobility
    [​IMG]

Cloverleaf barrels, or three barrels
    [​IMG]

Livestock pen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rope gate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bridge (we just used that for a makeshift bridge, there was also a low regular one for anyone who wanted to school it, Victor did it great)
    [​IMG]

Figure 8 barrels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picking up the Garotcha pole (counts as one obstacle on it's own)
    [​IMG]

Garotcha and bull with ring
    [​IMG]

Returning the Garotcha pole
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sidepass
    [​IMG]

Switch-a-cup
    [​IMG]

Double slalom
    [​IMG]

Bell corridor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I know this is an old thread but thought it was a decent place to ask my questions. So on a bit of a whim I just entered a WE show with my jumper/eq horse! We haven’t had a chance to practice the obstacles yet but fingers crossed will be getting in a lesson with a WE trainer before the show. I’m setting up what I can to practice at home and honestly we should be ok but now I’m stuck on what to wear and tack to use. The rules are so loose in that regard that I’m lost! So anyone have any opinions or ideas?

I’d prefer to use my jumping saddle with either a snaffle or pelham. But would a square pad or fitted pad be better? Do I need to wear tan breeches, show shirt and a hunt coat or could I could wear something like breeches with a long sleeve show shirt and vest? Basically how formal should we be? Should I braid? It’s a B rated show if that makes a difference.

Larkspade and Alsosusieq2 like this.