Working Equitation

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BluemoonOKy, Jul 13, 2018.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Anyone here do it?
    We went for a working equitation lesson with a classical teacher today and loved it. We did the whole course that was set up at a walk. We answered interesting questions and worked through some resistance, but it was great, spiraling, volte around poles, a jump, wooden bridge, moving a bamboo from barrel to barrel, a gate with a cotton rope, weaving and change of direction around 3 barrels, backing straight, sidepassing down and over a pole, backing in an l, ringing a bell...might be forgetting something. I really really liked it and I was very proud of our communication and improvement. It was really fun, a test of skill and good for both of our minds. I am excited to learn more.

equinitis, mymarespet, Bakkir and 2 others like this.
  2. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Have not, but I want to!

3. sherian

sherian Senior Member

actually doing a intro clinic next weekend. I have been starting to add a few obstacles to my jump field for a bit of variety.

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

That sounds like a lot of fun.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I would have loved to have done this!! I saw a vid of the Lusitano's and riders, it was so impressive. What a fun thing to do, glad you get the chance. :heartbeat:

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  6. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

I have run a few clinics on it with a good clinician. And have made all the obstacles to work my horses on. I LOVE IT! My horses love having a purpose for the “why” and am requiring certain dressage movements. This helps explain things for them and really make them enjoy their work.

froglander and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

@Dehda01 (and anyone else) can you share pics of the obstacles for inspiration?

Larkspade likes this.
  8. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

I don’t think I can share pictures of the Clinics for security reasons, I will have to see if I have any without riders in them.

9. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

From the videos I've seen, it looks fascinating! I'd love to see what patterns and obstacles are normally used. From a quick google, it looks like there is always a bridge, gate, side pass pole(s), and then barrels or poles to slalom or cloverleaf. It seems that jumps are pretty common as well. What am I missing?

10. Dehda01

Dehda01 Full Member

Backing to a bell. Livestock pen, garrocha pole to ring or ball. Picking up a jug. That is just for the obstacle part. That is the flashy part. Then there is the dressage part without obstacles. WE had a nice website explaining separate classes and divisions.

barrel_racer64 likes this.