Worcester Noseband??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by highlandchloe, Jul 20, 2009.

1. highlandchloe

highlandchloe Registered

2. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

neat, never saw one before, just did some quick googling and found this, though its only what I've just found, and I'm not familiar with the noseband so I'm not supporting or condemning the below.... btw, how about a kineton instead? though perhaps a kinelton has the same possible drawback as below?

http://www.tds-saddlers.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2559

3. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

then I read this.... interesting.....

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/article.php?aid=38662

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member+

Thats interesting!

5. highlandchloe

highlandchloe Registered

Thanks buck1173, that's really helpful :) Unfortunately Heineken's bit is jointed, so I'll probably have to get him a straight one before I try using the Worcester.

6. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

My guess is the Worchester is also a way of using a Kineton AND a standing martingale. It reminds me of a flash in that way.

7. pippy

pippy Senior Member+

I Just from reading/looking - would have to think that the effect of the W on a jointed bit would not be that bad. Working merely on the theory that because the noseband holds the bit - the rider can't gain the same amoutn of pull soley on the bit cause the join to rise because the nose band stops the bit being pulled that far back - am I making sense?
    It can also see it being fine with a double jointed bit in that the effects of having the point (which is eliminated with the 2 joins) is none exsistant in it - therefore the worries listed above would be a moot point.

My BIGGEST concern when first using it - in whatever bit - is that the horse would need to be used to stopping from nose pressure, when you ask for the whoa with this nose band on - you will not get anywhere near the same amount of pressure on the bars as you would without it, alternatively it goes to the nose and hence the need to for the horse to understand the nose pressure as whoa - or you are aimlessly pulling the reins having little evffect on the bars... i think i'm talking in circles now lol

8. LindaMM

LindaMM Senior Member+

I think I like it.

Similar in principal to the Kineton, as others have mentioned, but perhaps more subtle. Because the Kineton has the metal part, and affects directly on the mouthpiece, it would be more of an "absolute", whereas I can see the Worcester being more foregiving... or maybe that would just be less effective...

Like any piece of tack, how your horse reacts may be different than John's horse or Mary's horse, even with the same bit and the same rider. Sometimes you just gotta try to know.