Wireless internet, easy to tap into???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pocahontas, Mar 26, 2007.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Senior Member+

Is it easy to tap into someone elses computer if you have wireless?

Being in the same house.

Say there are 2 computers in the house, and both are using the wireless internet, is one easily or savily able to look at the others computer info?

No, I am not picking at your brains so I can do it:p

I am worried about and curious if someone can get into mine.

2. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

Most wireless connections have passwords. So if someone's computer is trying to pick up your connection, they won't if you have it password protected and everything with your username and pass.

Some people don't do this. We cannot get computer info, but we can pick up and USE their wireless service on Mike's laptop

3. pocahontas

so, 2 computers could use the same wireless services, but each computer have a different password?

Or do both computers have to go off of the same password?

4. ches

ches Senior Member+

The password is on the actual wireless connection. In fact, there are two ways to secure a wireless connection:

1. ESSID (every computer's unique number)
    You set up the wireless connection to allow only specific ESSIDs. This is the most secure and is unhackable. It's also the least flexible and is a little tricky to do. Only a serious computer nerd would use this.

2. Password protected
    Computers wanting to connect to the wireless network need to know the network name and the password, as well as what number/character set the password is in. You need to get this from the person who set up the security.

To view what wireless networks are in range, go Start --> Connect To --> Wireless Network Connection. You can connect to them from here.

A LOT of people leave their wireless networks unencrypted/unsecured. This is really stupid because, e.g. your neighbor could use your network to view child p0rnography or commit fraud and then you will get in trouble through your ISP and because you left your network unsecured, you are not exactly legally in the clear.

3WishesDun likes this.
  5. pocahontas

Thanks Ches, this is confusing for me:eek:

6. StormChaser

StormChaser Senior Member+

When I'm at my parent's house I can pick up all the neighbor's wireless connections.

It's nice when I go downtown. I can pick up just about any of the business around me. It's comes in handy when your lost and need phone numbers or google maps. tehehe...:D

I can't get into their computer and see what they have or anything like that. I can only use their connection. You would have to be a pretty good hacker in order to do that.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

hahah, I just went through this-

As far as I know, when you set up your wireless in the first place you also set up a password- some people opt out of that.

My boyfriend opted out when he first set up ours because we have mine, his and my moms when she comes home all on the wireless. So, to make it easier and to stop my mom from "voicing her opioion" he turned off the password.

Now, about a week ago our little neighbor girl came over- very, VERY annoying girl and was talking about how cool she thought it was that at most times she can pick up out wireless and play on her internet and how cool she thought she was to get into it... I said, um, yeah, we dont have a password- that why you can get into it.

So..... me and my boyfriend mad it into a little game of our to see if she was hooked up on our Internet and if she was we would cut our internet off and laugh at her because you could see her getting all mad.

Then, I decided- this is enough :flaming: She braggs about getting on our internet, using it at all hours of the day and night and never offering to even give $5 for using it so much! :no: :eek2:

So, we cut her off :D Put the password up and keep checking to make sure she cant get on- she's not all that smart, so we're not worries.

We pay $65 a month to have high-speed wireless, she aint getting NONE of it :woot!: :woot!:

8. ches

ches Senior Member+

You're thinking about this from the wrong aspect. The wireless network is a separate entity with a different type of security.

Think of your wireless router as its own computer that's sole job is to provide internet access to other computers.
    Security for your wireless router/wireless network involves not letting others onto it, i.e. not letting it get hacked. There is one network SSID (name) and one password that every computer that wants to access the network must use. As long as the password isn't obvious ("internet" or "admin" etc.) and you're careful who you give it to, your wireless network should be secure. Whether or not your computer is secure is a different ballgame.

9. ches

ches Senior Member+

When we lived in an apartment we "strongarmed" a few people into putting security on their networks by connecting to them and downloading big files. Even better, uploading big files. When people can't access their own internet connection they quickly learn about security. :cool:

10. StormChaser

StormChaser Senior Member+

You can see who is using yours? Iv always wondered if anyone in my neighborhood was using mine.:confused: I wouldn't really care if they did...unless I had a little stinker bragging about using it like your little neighbor girl did. lol! :D I would have shut her down too! Too funny!