Winter Mane Detangling Advice

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Wild at Heart, Jan 20, 2019.

1. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

no finger wagging here - I just don't like the smell of it. baby oil would work, too

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I tell you what though. It works great for laying the mane and getting it to stay on one side. It works great for that.

3. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I looooove coconut oil and use it for all sorts of things. Just wanted her to know that below 70 degrees it turns solid and in extreme cold it will freeze causing more problems than not.

And.... my Chevy has a super super thick mane that parts down the middle with mane on both sides of his neck. I have tried 'everything' to get it to lay to one side and nothing works lol Oh, it works for a little while, but nothing is permanent. I was hoping that training it over and then the heavy hair lying there it would keep itself down - nope.

mooselady likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

No. And again, the fact that the oil stiffens up in the cold is what makes it work so good at training the mane. You make sure you don't put too much on the mane, obviously, but then it holds the mane on one side. You put it on the bottom 1/3 or even 2/3 or so of the mane, braid it(not super tight) on the preferred side. And redo the braids when they start to get fuzzy and come undone.

What we used to use - sand, dirt, mixed with vaseline. Also stiffened up. And trained the mane beautifully.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol, still with the coconut oil......still no flipping use to us in the winter, because we live in a freezer, and even if you can melt it enough to get it on, it just solidified into lumps ....

It’s a great summer time product...

6. Callista17

Callista17 Registered

I keep my Equine Shine in a warm room, soak and spray and detangle with my fingers. It's not the greatest plan, but I can just imagine the other horses sucking coconut oil off my horse on a warmer day. Lol