Winter Mane Detangling Advice

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Wild at Heart, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Full Member

Hello all. So I've noticed my mare's mane starting to tangle and I'm wondering what the best way to detangle it in the winter is. I live in northern Canada so I get plenty of snow and cold temperatures. I do have Cowboy Magic detangler, the only thing is, with it being a liquid, I'm worried it's just going to freeze in a few seconds after I apply it to her mane and freeze the knot in place or her main together in general and also get very cold bare hands when working with it and all that.

Any tips on something to use to help detangle this before it gets worse, or should I just wait until the spring when it warms up to do that, or just cut her mane short?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I haven't noticed Cowboy Magic freezing. It's got some sort of gunk in it, and I don't know but that it might not freeze.

You won't like what we use to do, lol, smear Vaseline on the mane. That would keep it from tangling. That does get stiff, but we used to not put a whole lot on and it seemed to work.

I've been putting Cowboy Magic on my young horse's mane because it's very long and I want to keep it that way. It's very cold here, I haven't noticed the product freezing, but I usually put it on in the barn where it's a little warmer and has a chance to dry out of he extreme cold.

My mare had so much snow on her mane the other day that it looked like she had a completely white mane...cute.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Do you have a barn, or are you working outside?

Lol I’ve done both, and when working outside, or in unheated barn, de tangling can wait until it warms up some. I tend to use baby oil or mineral oil, buy a load when it’s on offer, store inside. When you get a decent de tangling day you can pour the oil on the knots, massage in, and they will pull out nicely. Wearing those thin nitrile type gloves help keeps your hands warmer.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Dip your fingers in some coconut oil. You buy it in the grocery store in the cooking oil section. It will be completely absorbed by the hair itself. Then run your fingers through to get the big tangles out. Comb it into the mane. Not too much, just enough to get it all distributed. Towel off the excess.

Bebe likes this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Roach it

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Fantastic in summer, not in winter up here...even liquid oil solidifies up here....

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  7. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Full Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely have to try out some of these things and see what works best for my situation.

8. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Yeah that doesn't work real well in colder areas. Coconut oil returns to solid below 70 degrees so in winter it would turn to paste.

mooselady likes this.
  9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I'm sure I'll get a ton of fingers shaken at me and "tsk tsk-ing" but....when it's freezing cold WD40 works super good to get burrs and knots out of manes and tails. Obviously not something I like to use on a regular basis as it is super not healthy for hair, but the gelding I've been working with is turned out on a huge pasture and he has a long mane that loves to get knotted up and full of burrs. I have considered braiding it once I get it brushed out, but don't want it to catch on something and rip out either, so I just try to keep it brushed out when I can. It's hard when it's so cold out...it was -20F this morning, so I get it. WD40 doesn't freeze, so that's always a plus.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

No finger wagging from me, it is a very useful product in the frozen north...I just make sure to wash and condition when it warms up.