Winter Hay Feedings

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Avalancheé, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have to disagree about using only a sheet in 19 degree weather, the reason being is when you put in a sheet the horse can no longer fluff their fur and trap the pockets of air that keep them warm, this is much like a down jacket that is toasty when fluffy but if the down gets wet so it can’t fluff it can’t insulate. This can make your horse much colder.

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Avalancheé likes this.
  3. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

If wanting to stretch hay you could add in a beet pulp feeding. I also agree that blankets keep them warm so they eat less to stay warm.

Avalancheé likes this.
  4. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

If your horse has a good winter coat and access to shelter than my vote would be a round bale and no blanket. Even better if you get a round bale and put a net on it.

Avalancheé likes this.
  5. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I'm just a bit north of southeastern Michigan - between Flint and Lansing. Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything specific to the area.

Lots of good local facebook groups with hay (roundbales included) and supplies (blankets, tack etc.)

You've gotten a lot of good advice here.
    Wishing you well fellow Michigander.

Avalancheé likes this.
  6. Avalancheé

Avalancheé Registered

Amazing advice from everyone indeed!! :) I’m really happy about all of the feedback. I’ll tweak a couple of things here and there into my schedule to see what’ll work best for us while I can find my mare a trustworthy loving home.

A blanket is next on my shopping list. If I feel it does affect her ability to insulate heat properly, I’ll most likely keep it for when that nasty wet windy weather rolls in.

As for making hay last, I think I’m going to double net 1/2 of a bale (or more depending on the weather) for her instead of a whole bale and see how long it lasts her during the day. I’ll check on her every few hours and keep track of how long it takes her to finish it and make sure she doesn’t go too long without food. I just feel like a whole 45# bale per day is a bit much for a horse that does nothing. Hopefully I can get a hold of a round bale soon too! Thanks again everyone!