Winter cleaning of water trough

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by KaylaG, Feb 20, 2019.

1. KaylaG

KaylaG Full Member

We live in a heavily snowy region and was wondering if we should clean the water trough out completely during the winter months? The horses have not shown much interest in drinking water this last week. Everyone I have talked to about this says they don't clean theirs during winter months. I use a fish net to clean sludge out periodically but have not drained it completely. Should it be drained and cleaned?

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I clean mine over the winter. Pain in the butt, but I like my horses to have clean fresh water

Alsosusieq2 and KaylaG like this.
  3. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

In the winter, I clean mine at least once a month, the ice cold water makes the arthritis in my hands hurt pretty badly, so I try to do it when the trough looks gross. I have one heated trough and one cold trough with no heater, so my 4 horses have the pick of what they want.

KaylaG likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

A vote for cleaning the water trough. How often? Depends on how fast it gets gross and how much water they are consuming. Most of my friends drain theirs, scrub them out, hose out the scrubbed up gunk, and refill.

Alsosusieq2 and KaylaG like this.
  5. KaylaG

KaylaG Full Member

We are getting a new water hose to siphon it out with and do a thorough cleaning of it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yeah, just drain it and clean it.

7. secuono

secuono Senior Member

It could be that the water is too cold for them to drink a normal amount.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Horses prefer tepid water. Drinking a large volume of cold water will cool the body down, so in winter they are reluctant to drink much cold water. Horses often get impaction colics in winter because they reduce their water consumption by so much when it gets really cold.

They prefer warm water. So, for example, we would see horses drinking out of puddles on the ground, puddles that were warmed by the sun, while their water trough was full of cold water.

9. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Hmm never seen a horse drink out of a puddle ever, unless there is no trough or other water source available. No horse I have ever been around will ever drink a puddle of dirty water unless forced to.

Puddincup likes this.
  10. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Also, not all horses as rule like tepid water.

I have a heated water bucket in my mares stall and a bucket that’s not plugged in and she always drains the cold one first:rolleyes: she will break the ice in her bucket to drink more cold water before emptying it and drinking the warm one. But...she is a mare so she’s probably just being contrary.