Wintec jump saddles?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by jkm_05, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jkm_05

jkm_05 Registered

The current english saddle I have does not fit my horse, so I started looking and found a Wintec jump saddle. I was wondering what you guys think of them? If any of you have ever had one of their saddles, what are the pros and cons?

2. magic_rider

magic_rider Senior Member

Wintec are fairly low quality but can be ok if they fit you and your horse well. Cair is a bad idea, not adjustable at all and lots of people have problems with it, depending on which year it is, quite a lot of the wintec/bates saddles are very long and flat, they don't tend to fit many horses.

For what you get, they are pretty expensive, I'd be looking for higher quality used saddles.

3. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

I'm a tack snob. I like and have high end tack.
    And I'm the first to say ... Wintec English saddles are great saddles for the used price you can get them at. They are sturdy and well made, they take a lot of abuse. They are also comfortable and well balanced.
    That said .... they are meant to fit a fairly flat backed stock horse type.
    If you have a big withered horse with a super curvey back it just won't work.

I wouldn't buy one new , but for the used price you won't find anything else nearly as nice comparably priced.

But don't ever touch a wintec western.

jkm_05 likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If you don’t REALLY know what you’re looking for on used wintecs I suggest you pass on them. They really aren’t as sturdy as people believe (I’ve seen many broke trees). The gullets, ya sure you can change them out, but if you really take a good long look at them, you’ll see they aren’t quite right.

They aren’t my cup of tea - straight up for the shape they fit, there are better options out there in the used price range.

5. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

I owned a 2000 Wintec AP saddle that I bought used for $300. Heck of a deal. Mine was too small for me, though, but I still considered it comfortable. It was easy to clean, took abuse, and never gave me any problems for 3 months. I liked the Cair panels, and the gullet system was a major plus. I totally would buy another Wintec if I got back into english, but not the all purpose model. I thought that it would be perfect for my western-ish, trail style of riding, but it started to feel awkward after a while.

6. jkm_05

jkm_05 Registered

Thank you! :) it’s good they fit horses like that, because my quarter horse is pretty wide and flat. What about thorowgoods? (I think that’s the name) I’ve seen a few people recommend them but I don’t know too much about what to look for

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^TG’s are the better option when comparing the 2.