Wintec gullet insert measurements in Cm's?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by ShadowPaint, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ShadowPaint

ShadowPaint Senior Member

Ok, tech question for you real tack gurus out there:

If you have the white XW Wintec gullet insert, what would that "translate" to in Centimeters for tree measurements?

For example: if a saddle says it is a Wide with a 32 CM tree would that be comparable to the white XW Wintec gullet?

(OF course you can see right through my question, right? YES, I am ogling a verrry nice used saddle with those measurements and am trying to ascertain if that is equivalent or not!)

THANKS!:wink:

2. dressagelvr

dressagelvr Senior Member

I copied this from Statelinetack.com....
    Extra Wide: 25.3cm or 10 inches
    Wide: 24.5cm or 9.6 inches
    Medium/Wide: 23.8 cm or 9.4 inches
    Medium: 22.8cm or 8.6 inches
    Medium/Narrow: 21.8 cm or 8.6 inches
    Narrow: 21 cm or 8.3 inches

Wintec must measure their gullet widths differently than other saddle brands because I don't see how 25.3cm could be an extra wide gullet.

Hopefully someone who knows more chimes in.

3. BayHorseLuv

BayHorseLuv Senior Member

Those are odd measurements. I don't think they are helpful. I would assume that the wintec wide is more 28-29 cm tree.

4. ShadowPaint

Ok, how can a Stubben Wide be 32cm but the XW is 25 on Wintec?

Confused here...where are those measurements being done on a saddle?

5. dressagelvr

dressagelvr Senior Member

I don't know, doesn't make sense to me either.

6. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

Between the ends of the gullet plate when it is out of the saddle, or on an uninterchangeable saddle, between the two tree points BEFORE the saddle is made around them.

But you have to remember, some saddles have longer tree points than others. Stubbens, as far as I kow, have LONG tree points, so it makes sense that there would be more space in between the ends of the tree points. So in all honesty, cms aren't a good way to measure saddles gullet sizes unless you're stayign within a single brand. And if you don't know the width of a saddle when you get it, unless you can take a gullet plate out, you can't measure how many cm because that has to be done before the saddle is made around the tree.

So... that may be why it's not making much sense. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. ShadowPaint

:D Crayon, THANKS for explaining all that! Whew. I was beginning to wonder about my mind I was just so confused...seems like all the makers have different standards and they don't really give out much info, either...makes saddle hunting a total PITA.

Anyway, appreciate the info!

8. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

No problem! lol. I was confused too until I learned how the saddles are measured and how/why the measurements could vary so much. :p But yeah, we pretty much ahve no standards to base things off of, and I'm pretty sure if we did I would have had a saddle long ago. :D