Wilson’s Training Saga

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by RusticR, Sep 30, 2018.

1. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Wilson is my 2017 western pleasure bred (Certain Potential x Invitation Only) colt. I brought him home barely halter broken at the end of February of 2018. He’s a June 1st baby so he had most of the summer pretty easy. We did hit a few shows where he was usually 1st in halter and top 3 (against all age horses) in trail in hand.

My hope for him is to replace Martini as my AQHA all around show horse. He’s currently 14.2 at the wither as of September 2018.

My goals for him next year are: To be well started in showmanship and be showing in it by mid-summer, do a couple of our local shows walk trot classes under saddle (western MAYYYBE English by the last show of the year which is Labor Day weekend) and go on a trail ride.

I have no clue when I’ll break him. Probably sometime late next spring right around his 2nd birthday. I like to get 30-60 rides on them as a 2 year old then leave them until 3.

The plan right now is to spend the next 4-6 weeks doing tons of ground work. Then he’ll get the winter completely off.

The last few weeks we’ve been working on saddling. I’ve lunged him once with a saddle on. He was a DREAM! He’s really good with the bit. He’s worn it about a dozen times and no longer chews when you put it in. Today we lunged in side reins so he got used to the feel of pressure on the bit. He was amazing. We also worked on desensitizing with a tarp and dragging a log.

Attached Files:

2. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Wow!!! He is so handsome !!!!! I would love to see a video of him moving, he looks like he is going to be really nice!!!

RusticR likes this.
  3. Ranger’s Roheryn

Ranger’s Roheryn Full Member

He is gorgeous!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

RusticR likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Gorgeous!!!

RusticR likes this.
  5. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

His first time lunging under saddle. Completely unfazed!
    Thank you!! I’m really excited about him.

I can’t figure out how to post a video from my phone. Do I have to put it on YouTube? Or is there a simpler way. lol

6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

You have to upload to YouTube and link it here.

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Very nice colt! Congratulations on this acquisition.

RusticR likes this.
  8. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Rained yesterday so we only did a little showmanship practice inside.

Today though was great! I saddled Wilson up, one thing I love about him he’s never objected to the saddle-he saddles like an old show horse lol, and took him out to lunge him. Which is only his second time to be lunged under saddle.

He was perfect. He just goes along and does his job. He did so good I worked him dragging the tarp. I just stuck the one end through the stirrup so it would come out easy if he spooked.

I shouldn’t have worried. He was lunging at the walk and jog dragging the tarp. Never cared. Such. A. Good. Boy.

I might run out of things to do for groundwork October. Lol.

I’m hoping this weekend to start line driving him!

I’ll work on getting some of my videos uploaded to YouTube tomorrow.

Attached Files:

kodemiester and ginster like this.
  9. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Decided to try ground driving Wilson for the first time today. He was awesome! I had a helper with me but didn’t even need them. He walked off, stayed moving, and even circled really well with me behind him.

We need to work on straight lines. Those were hard for him. But it was his first day! I also haven’t really ground driven much... so I’m sure it’s like the nearly blind leading (driving??) the blind. Lol!!

Attached Files:

tlwidener, paval and ginster like this.
  10. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

He looks good!! Really laid back!!