Wild Onions

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Launa, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. Launa

    Launa Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,770
    Likes Received:
    312
    RimRock has been coming up to me with onion breath. we have wild onions growing everywhere and he has decided he likes them. Onions are bad for horses and can cause liver damge so my horse health book says. But does any one know how many and how often a horse has to indulge in eating them before they are harmful? I am presently trying to dig them up but they are everywhere.
     






  2. pantha11

    pantha11 Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3,137
    Likes Received:
    223
    When lower doses are consumed on a regular basis, or Large amounts are consumed this may cause anemia...(the same goes for garlic....to much can cause anemia).

    However most horses will not consume enough to make them sick, unless that is all they have to eat in the pasture.
     
  3. doublebarr

    doublebarr Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2006
    Messages:
    12,394
    Likes Received:
    5,245
    Launa, found you a couple of links:

    http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/wonion/wonion.htm#conditions

    http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/plants/wildonion.html

    Toxic agent
    Onions contain N-propyl disulfide, which destroys red blood cells. Cultivated onions contain the same toxin and are often used as livestock feed. Many onions are usually required to cause poisoning; often pastures containing onions are heavily grazed without problems. The amount of toxin in the plants varies based on factors that are not well understood. Cattle and horses are susceptible to onion poisoning, and cats are very sensitive to it. Sheep are more resistant, but have been poisoned by onions in some instances.


    http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/plants/pponion.htm

    Toxicity. Cattle are most susceptible to onion poisoning. Horses, cats, and dogs are less susceptible. Goats and sheep are fairly resistant to poisoning. Diets containing greater than 25% dry matter of onion can cause clinical signs of anemia. Most poisoning is due to cultivated, not wild, onions. In cats, a dose of 5 g/kg body weight can cause clinical signs.

    This last one shows that diets have to contain greater than 25%. Unless your boy is gorging on them, he ought to be ok.:)
     
  4. CJ

    CJ Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Messages:
    8,641
    Likes Received:
    2,104
    You might ask the vet if its worth using a supplement like Red Cell for a while.
     
  5. Launa

    Launa Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3,770
    Likes Received:
    312
    Thanks Cindy for the info! I quit digging!:wink:
     
  6. Dawn

    Dawn Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2002
    Messages:
    45,411
    Likes Received:
    2,685
    If he does become anemic from eating onions, red cell (or any similar product) will not help.

    If he has other stuff in the pasture to eat (or hay), it's doubtful to think that he would consume enough to be harmful. I swear, they can eat one or two bites of wild onion and smell like they've eaten a truckload of it.
     
  7. sorrell

    sorrell Senior Member+

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    4,122
    Likes Received:
    1,762
    Our horses all used to eat them as well as garlic that grew on the edge of the pasture from the garden area and none ever had a bad reaction. they used to eat Mulberry leaves too, which is supposed to be poisonous, but never had any reactions. It really made me wonder about what I was reading, but I guess some horses are more sensitive.
     

Share This Page