Why you shouldn't play with your horse that way

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by AqhaGirl, Mar 31, 2013.

1. AqhaGirl

AqhaGirl Senior Member+

Well this is a good little reminder for people that tend to think horses are the size of a lab and you can run around and play with them the same way.
    This video was shared via facebook. It was not the horse's fault,the owner should have known better...but then again if she did know better she wouldn't have done it in the first place :no:

[video=youtube;3szHByi7xBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szHByi7xBw[/video]

2. Trace

Trace Senior Member+

My guy will play like that with you at any opportunity - but I NEVER will unless there is a fence between us.

And even with a fence between us it can still be dangerous - one day he was running up and down and he kicked out at me in play - his shoe flew off - whipped right past my flippen head. Very very scary.

3. sheree

sheree Senior Member+

the horse purposly kicks her, horses are great aimers and u can see he aimed right for her, and she is a trainer, painful, disturbing seeing her flop to the ground like that

2 people like this.
  4. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member+

I'd imagine the horse was "playing", had it been another horse kicked it probably wouldn't have even phased the other horse.

Definitely scary to see!

5. AqhaGirl

AqhaGirl Senior Member+

Yes they can be pretty dangerous when they play. Just watching the 3 horses play together at the barn it's rough stuff. Their idea of playing is running by each other and nipping and kicking out. The whole time I was watching the video I could just see the horse's ears going backwards and shaking his head back and forth ,trying to cut her off.... yeah I can definitely see why you would want to keep a fence line between yourself and the horse.

6. sheree

sheree Senior Member+

horses play like that in a herd a horse isnt going treat u any different if u encourage the game, painful consequences esp with a stallion, he was "boss" of that game and he won

1 person likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

I hope the girl survived. She made mistake after mistake in reading that horse. He had his ears pinned every single time she got too close to him while he was in motion. He stopped to get treats, not out of respect because she told him to stop. He only tolerated for the fact she WAS giving him treats. He was working at liberty FOR the treats, and was annoyed at her mere presence.

20 people like this.
  8. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

I could not help cringe at all the garbage lying around either, like bikes and wheelbarrows... so easy for a horse to spook and get a foot caught in all that and be injured.
    There is nothing wrong with taking a horse at liberty, but you need to be careful where you stand and the horse needs to clearly be taught that kicking out at you is not allowed. Having a lounge whip and staying level with the horse's head might have prevented that, but stuff happens and horses sometimes do not get that people do not recover as easily as other horses when 'tapped' by a hoof or pushed with a head.
    I have had horses sling their heads into my face as well. Hope she recovered from it.

10 people like this.
  9. MaggieSue

MaggieSue Senior Member+

This is why I don't do 'liberty game's'!! I want control of that horses head, so that if they go to put that butt towards me, I can pull it away. This is why the NH crowd isn't part of my interest.

10. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member+

My pony and I did play "chase" but she always trotted quietly along behind me. None of this running and kicking junk.