Why Do Horses....??????

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Astro30, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Astro30

Astro30 Senior Member

:help!: Why do horses poop and urinate on their hay if it is on the ground?

My little 5 month old colt keeps urinating and deficating on his hay!:eek:
    This is the first time I have ever seen something like this. I mean, it's not like he dosent have anywhere else to do it,lol.

If anyone knows why, PLEASE tell me, so I might be able to take care of this issue before it gets out of hand.

2. Super_Trooper

Super_Trooper Senior Member+

I would build a wooden box for the hay to go into.....

3. tlhaley

tlhaley Full Member

If he is stalled up here is what I have done to retrain my colts.

When you pick their stalls, through their poop and their pee spot in the opposite corner they get fed in.

That worked for me.

And if that doesn't work, build a hay manger like Trooper said.

4. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Senior Member+

horses tend to use their hay as a bed (so do cows and other animals) when they have a lot of hay. I would guess he doesnt eat a lot, since you said he is a colt, so he feels he can make the remainder of his hay into his toilet/bed like he would with sawdust.

5. Astro30

Astro30 Senior Member

The thing of it is, that he is OUTSIDE when he does it. I keep having to change where I put the hay so I can clean up his Poo and give his pee spots time to dry.

Where ever I put his hay, he will eat it for awhile, then pee and poo on it. But here is the nasty part, he will pick thru it all and eat the hay even after all that. EWWE! What is he doing, spicin things up a bit, LMAO?!

He dosent lay on it hile he is outside. And when he is inside, I always have plenty of nice soft shavings so he dosent use the hay in there to pee on. Is he afraid of getting splashed while he is doin it?

I mean, he does do his business in other places too, it just annoys me when he does do it there.....

6. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

I know quite a few horses that will urinate on their hay as they don't get as much splash back on their legs. As for poop? I have no idea.

7. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

.. could it remind him of his old type of bedding? When my pony is left loose in the barnyard he will go over the the shavings pile and use it as his bathroom. If he was only out to pasture previously, perhaps it reminds him of the field? Does he have any turnout/pasture? Where does he "go" out there?

8. CarolinaFilly

CarolinaFilly Senior Member+

our horses did that too! All 6 of them. You can imagene our hay didn't last long. We had to buy hay bale holder. Lol. Its defently worth the money!!!

9. Chester

Chester Senior Member

we had a pony once who was starved as a youngster. He learnt to pee on his hay so nobody else would eat it. He is now 15 and still does it. He will even go and pee on others hay. then he goes and eats the lot.

10. cowgirlnat

cowgirlnat Senior Member+

someone once explained to me that in a horses logic they will turn around putting their butt towards the hay b/c in their mind b/c they cannot see it they are no longer near it so it is okay to poo. However, they do not realize that just by doing a 180 it is causing them to poo on thier hay. But this would make more since if he did in in the stall too. I dunno...watch him. Does he do it while he is eating it, or is it later after he is finished? Maybe try spreading the hay out over several places. He certainly can't pee on them all!?!? LOL