Why a rescue is not always a rescue....Kill pen buyers

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by mooselady, Nov 11, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This I found well written and compelling, I guess mainly because it confirms what I have believed for a long time...There are many people out there making money out of well meaning but gullible people, and the same number of horses get shipped.

The Truth About Kill Pens - Are You REALLY Saving a Life?

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

The only time I bought at an auction, I was afraid the horse would no sale and end back up at the owners to finish starving to death.

After the auction fees, coggins, and trailering fees, I know the former owner lost money, because the $25 I paid didn't cover all of that.

So, that gives me satisfaction some days. Then again, we don't have any KBs attending that auction.

Larkspade likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's 100% accurate.
    Have I not been saying this same thing on this board for years and gotten sh~:poop: for it from every member touting their new “Rescue“ horse?

Maybe they'll listen to her.

4. all4him

all4him Senior Member

My friend got very into rescue when she was trying to find a horse that was sold illegally. She's still looking for that mare, by the way. But she spent THOUSANDS buying horses from kill buyers and sending them to rescues but then realized exactly what this article states. Now she has a network of men and women around the country who are looking to get the horses before they go to auction or at auction - BEFORE the kill buyers think of getting them. She's been able to do some good work for some special horses. She now knows that she can't save them all and at times has had to walk away from a horse but those she has helped to save are grateful.

Larkspade, Garfield70 and mooselady like this.
  5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

The "Kill Pen" is a horse trader. Period. They hide under the name "Kill Pen" to make people feel bad and pull on the heartstrings. The horses they advertise are not going to slaughter unless they really need to fill a load. The horses that are slaughter bound are never advertised. Those horses are generally broncy, lame, sick and fat or any combination there of. The pen in Kaufman won't even advertise mustangs anymore because all of the junior detectives and issues with people who don't understand the BLM or the process of ownership. They still buy them, cheap. Mustangs are pretty useless. They just direct ship them. The ones that don't sell are usually just run through another auction.

So, no. You're not saving anything. You are buying a horse with no shots, unknown history, really - the pen only knows what they are told, and who knows what other diseases picked up through the auction or in the pen itself. The Kill Pen business is brilliant. Seriously. Not that I'd do it, my integrity is worth more than that, but it's a brilliant concept.

And let's face it, even with the mark up in the kill pen they are much cheaper than a rescue that wants to charge 1000 dollars to "adopt" and not give you ownership. Rescue is a crock as well IMO. You roll the dice with a KP horse but at least you own it.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Probably not, this is a great scam, makes the buyer feel good, and of course the seller feels great. Then you wonder about the fund raising going on, people raising money to ship their poor 'rescue' clear across the country.

Thing is, bottom line, there are only so many homes, once those spaces are filled, then the excess gets shipped.....every 'rescue' means another one needs rescuing

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  7. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

The ones making money are the so called "rescues". They get a few horses, then stand there with their hands out begging for money to buy feed. I've seen so many "rescues" that horses needed rescued FROM!
    Canner buyers are horses traders. They get a good deal on a good horse, they buy it. It's not going to the plant, they will resell it. They are not the ones hiding behind a name, that's the "rescues".

PyroTekNik333 likes this.