Who will watch the royal wedding?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, May 15, 2018.

1. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

Also won't be watching as I'll be at work, but I might look up photos of the dress afterwards

bobo and horses and ginster like this.
  2. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

I'll definitely peek in - I sort of love all the pomp and circumstance...and horses, as mentioned earlier!

I have a friend from high school who's really into stuff like this. For William and Kate's wedding, she and some friends got alllll dressed up and had a formal tea with pastries, little sandwiches, and so on. It looked really fun, if not really my thing. :)

3. ParkedOut

ParkedOut Senior Member

That’s a no for me.

I’d rather pull out my toe nails.

bsaz, Loona and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

What wedding?

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ditto and @emali's comment.. What wedding? I don't even know what day or when it is.. I'm not really keen on anything to do with the royal family. I always thought the French revolution to have been a good solution. Joking, but that kind of money, jewels, property and assets when people are not getting by in England makes no sense to me and the people just "love them". :confused: I always want to nearly upchuck when one of the Queen's horses wins a race. Just me though..

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Why? Horse racing in the UK is funded by the super rich, why pick out hers? She at least has horse knowledge, takes and interest in breeding her string...

Thing is the royal family are a great tourist draw, people come to view them and the palace etc etc....

Yes in this day and age they are a bit of an anachronism, but over all they are a money generator.Not every brit loves them, some are strongly royalist, there are many equally strongly detest everything about them. I guess, don't know for sure, that many are pragmatic as I am....

Arem and Peanut Palomino like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

It just seems nuts to me that people project and idolize them. I feel this way about pretty much all royal families though, it's not them particularly.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

There are both camps usually. Those who adore their royalty and those who hate their guts. Mostly because of what they cost the people.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

I don't hate them, but it just seems ridiculous. This peasant kind of realizes all those assets came off the back of the people over umpteen generations. Heck, not peasant.. just call me a serf lol.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I think it's a little more complicated.

I am having a hard time muddling thru all the figures, but it appears the queen gets a grant (which is basically an expense account for her to perform her official duties), from a royal estate, then she owns property (handed down through the royal family since the 1200s) and she has some personal investments (stocks etc).

The royal ownership of properties dates back to William the Conquerer's conquest of England(late 1000s). At a point in time (1760) King George III surrendered a lot of the royal properties to the British government. In return the royals received a salary.

So... royal families definitely are expensive, but their wealth seems to have mostly been turned over to the government long ago, and they receive a salary based on that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.