Who hoo Made a breakthrough with Amber

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bakkir, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Amber is a 2.5 yr old extra large dog. Ever since I got her she has had an extreme phobia of having her nails clipped. So much so that she had to be sedated by the vet.

Well I hated myself for putting her through that. So I started working even harder to desensitize her. Now I could handle her feet from day 1. I could/can touch her anywhere, but she would freak out if she even saw the clippers.

3 months later and I finally was able to clip one nail. :applaud:

I figure it will be a couple of weeks before I get another one done. But slow and steady is winning the race.

She will now touch the clippers with her nose and allow me to touch her nails with them. Huge progress and she was so happy with all the praise and treats she got. I made sure hubby was nearby so he could praise her too. :cooldance:

2. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

My dog was the same way. But when I switched to a dremel, her "fear" went away. She's 100% fine with me doing her nails now.
    I think clippers are more uncomfortable than people realize. Even if you don't clip the quick, clippers still squeeze the nail (and quick) and can be very uncomfortable-- if not downright painful.

VermilionStrife and manesntails like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Dremel was a no go. She is afraid of the noise.

I decided to desensitize her to the guillotine type clipper. They are the easiest for me to use. I bought a new ones so they are sharp. Her nails get so long, that I have lots to work with.

I'm so happy with any progress at all.

Peanut Palomino likes this.
  4. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

All progress is good :) I'm glad she's improving!

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Congrats!!
    But you know this is missing pics, right??

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

OH MY Goodness Bakkir.
    So, what do you when you have a horse that is "afraid of the noise" from the clippers? You desensitize them to the noise. She doesn't freak out when you brush your teeth with an electric tooth brush does she? Desensitize that girl. Then you can have her done either way. There's always a chance a dog will pull back with the guillotine clippers just before the nail is fully clipped and get hurt with them and that will set you back to square one. The dremel, they can pull away and never get hurt.

Desensitze her the same way you would a horse to clippers. Voila' good dog.

Peanut Palomino likes this.
  7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Ha ha manes. I treat each situation with animals differently. I desensitize as needed, when needed.

I tried getting her nails done over the years. Everything I or the vet or the groomers did only made it worse. Vet says it's PTSD.

Noise was just one more stressor, I didn't need to add. I'm keeping training short and sweet and quiet. Its working slowly. She is getting over her fear.

Sam C. likes this.
  8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Varisha and ginster like this.