1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Who here uses bosals?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by QHriderKE, Feb 13, 2017.

1. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

I'm super excited to say that I ordered my first one, even while on a college budget, from Steve Guitron! (Welcome to Steve Guitron's Custom Rawhide website) It's just a simple working bosal, which is just up my alley, I don't need anything show worthy, just need one that gets the job done!

I use a little bosalita under my bridle for my get down, and have just fooled around while riding and finds my mare rides nice with just the bosalita, so that sparked me wanting a bosal for her, and for future colts of course!
    IMG_20160730_110552399_zpshd9su4dp.JPG

Those of you who use them, where do I find a nice mecate (in Canada preferably)?
    I'd love to see pics of your rigs too!

I've used a wool mecate before (just on a snaffle) and I'm wondering if a wool or alpaca mecate has a different feel than a horse hair one on a bosal? I'm aware you should use the same diameter mecate as bosal, but if I were to go one size down (5/8's) would it really affect much?

I'm going to be making my own hanger as well, and there's so many different ways to make a hanger it makes my head spin!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Buckaroo Leather has AWESOME mecate

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I've picked up all of my bosals (and my bosalito) and mecates used at local tack sales. I don't know most of their brands, but such things are under appreciated here so you can get pretty nice stuff cheap if you're patient.

I've made my own hanger, too! It's just plain. I want to make a fancier one but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll have to round up pictures of my stuff!

4. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

have one! Let me see if I can find a photo of it. Love how intentional it makes the use of your hands; you can't be sloppy or heavy handed if you ride them in a bosal!

ETA pictures!
    On my old mare:
    DSC_0769.jpg

On Marvel:
    IMG_6110.jpg I

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Arem and QHriderKE like this.
  5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Our local tack store used to carry nice macates.

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I showed my Jr WP in one last year....not sure what I'm showing him in this year. I like the round nylon mecates...much kinder on the hands than horsehair.

7. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I have a few. Usage of them depends on the horse. Currently don't have a bosal horse.

My favorite bosal is my Bill Black. I have a cotton mecate I love for greenies because it has stretch . Horse hair once they get better broke

Arem likes this.
  8. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I personally don't like the Alpaca hair ropes. They don't have a whole lot of feel like a horse hair rope.
    The second best think, in my opinion, which I know you've made; unravel some burnt up nylon ropes and braid yourself a round or square (not flat) mcCarty. You can dye them different colors too.
    They have a lot of weight and feel to them believe it or not. And the weather doesn't effect them.

QHriderKE and Arem like this.
  9. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

Yep! The get down rope is an old head rope I had sitting around with kinks and a twisted hondu - not even good enough to use for a branding rope! I really like the one I'm using on my snaffle right now and I made my dad a round braided one for Christmas. I just wasn't sure they'd have the right feel to use with a basal but I suppose a heavier round braid might work! May have to trade dad me cates to give it a shot.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Finally got around to getting the pictures of my stuff!

This my first bosal and mecate set. The bosal was this terrible rubbery thing, the mecate was the roughest and stiffest tail hair imaginable, and the hanger was barboatd leather *painted* to light oil. The old Vaqueros weee rolling in their graves, I'm sure, but it got us started. :p
    IMG_0164.JPG

Then I scored this roohide bosal and super soft mane hair mecate at a tack sale for $50. Yes $50. I practically stole it. They didn't know what they had. I was able to make out the brand on the popper on the mecate. Googled it. Sold for $1500 new. :eek2: I made the hanger myself because the hanger for the set was missing.
    IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG

I was never quite happy with the way the bosal fit, though, so when another set popped up at a sale for a steal I brought it home, too. It became my everyday set because the bosal fit a little better and I'm semi scared to use my expensive super nice one. I think the mecate is still mane hair, but not as high quality as the other. This one came with a hanger.
    IMG_0160.JPG

Then at another tack sale, I came across this used-and-abused bosal. Had a shape that I knew would fit Brandi's nose perfectly and it was cheap so it came home with me. Looks like a dog got ahold of it at one point, but it's still perfectly sound to use. Just not very pretty. Love the way it fits her, so it's out main using bosal along with the brown mecate that I got with the other one. Sometimes, when I'm feeling fancy, I use the nice light colored mecate.
    IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0158.JPG

And this is my bosalito. Bought it for the high price of... $1. That's the hanger I made. I'm going to make another one for it eventually. I need/want to get a smaller mecate for it, but for not the brown one I have is just small enough to work in the mean time.
    IMG_0127.JPG

So there they are! My used tack sale diamonds in the rough.

Alsosusieq2 and QHriderKE like this.